Edelbrock issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boglog

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2020
WA
I'm on a fresh rebuild and have some weird stuff going on with my carb... Or maybe it's the memory that's bad? I'm trying to get my idle sorted and feel like I can't get the idle mixture right. In order to have rpm up where it's not dying (800-950rpm) with good vacuum I'm running some extreme timing (15* initital) and my idle screws are screwed down almost to bottoming out. Is my carb just jacked up? Edelbrock 1404, my vacuum is around 17"hg, timiming ~15* idle 850rpm. I remembered the screws being out about 1-1.5 turns and like I was saying theyre at pretty much 0 turns to be running smooth.

Boglog

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2020
WA
I'm on a fresh rebuild and have some weird stuff going on with my carb... Or maybe it's the memory that's bad? I'm trying to get my idle sorted and feel like I can't get the idle mixture right. In order to have rpm up where it's not dying (800-950rpm) with good vacuum I'm running some extreme timing (15* initital) and my idle screws are screwed down almost to bottoming out. Is my carb just jacked up? Edelbrock 1404, my vacuum is around 17"hg, timiming ~15* idle 850rpm. I remembered the screws being out about 1-1.5 turns and like I was saying theyre at pretty much 0 turns to be running smooth.
One float was bad, just replaced and reset both.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
An Edelbrock carb that won't run? I'm shocked! Not!

It sounds like a float is stuck. I have the opposite problem on a 1406 I rebuilt- idles, won't go WOT.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Do yourself a favor and get a good wideband A/F gauge, that will take the guesswork out of setting up a carb and help to diagnose issues

Reactions: 2 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I'm no tuning master, but if you are near 0 turns on idle screws, you have near 0 idle gas flow. Open up to 2 full turns, then begin readjusting from there. You will have to adjust numerous times, because each adjustment affects the others.

Reactions: 1 user

Boglog

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2020
WA
It won’t start with the screws out 2 turns it immediately floods.

Yes a wideband would def help but I don’t need one to know this thing isn’t operating correctly.

I’ve got it to a point where it’s running but maybe a vac leak or the metering rods aren’t seated idk, it’s frustrating.

It is a new fuel pump so I guess it could be pressure.

I figured I had correctly diagnosed the problem when I replaced the bad float but it’s doing the same thing.

78Malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2018
Edelbrock carbs don't like any more the 6 psi, my 1406 runs a lot happier on my k5 especially at idle with the regulator installed and set at 5.5 psi. I had just put in a new fuel pump it was putting out @ 9 psi at idle. Oh is your new float brass. My local Carb expert refused to rebuild any carb with anything other than brass....my 2 cents YMMV good luck

Boglog

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2020
WA
Edelbrock carbs don't like any more the 6 psi, my 1406 runs a lot happier on my k5 especially at idle with the regulator installed and set at 5.5 psi. I had just put in a new fuel pump it was putting out @ 9 psi at idle. Oh is your new float brass. My local Carb expert refused to rebuild any carb with anything other than brass....my 2 cents YMMV good luck
They are Edelbrock, and brass.
It is a new fuel pump so maybe that is it

Boglog

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2020
WA
The transfer slots meter air for the idle circuit. Did you set them during the rebuild?
I don’t recall doing that exactly but at this Point I’ve probably jacked up so much stuff it’s not set normally anymore anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor