Edelbrock RPM Intake fitment on 79 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE
I have read that the RPM intake may not fit the earlier A/G bodies. I'm thinking of swapping one onto my olds 350 before engine swap in my 79 cutlass. I will be using quadrajet carb and stock 80s air cleaner. Anyone running a rpm intake on a olds in an earlier A/G body?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Almost guaranteed it will hit. I tried a RPM intake with a stock air cleaner, hit big time. You need a 1" drop base air cleaner, even then it will be close. A 1" open spacer should work with an A4 or Performer and help performance some.

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I'll be using an Olds Performer RPM manifold on my 78 here pretty soon, and I've heard a 1" drop base air cleaner is required. I would like a confirmation, as well...

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I have heard so many times about people experiencing clearance issues ( using the stock air cleaner ) that I now just take it as fact!

Cruiser Cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2019
east coast
RPM is going to be even taller than the GM midrise I had on a sbc in my 78. Mine had no room for a drop base with a no choke horn Demon. Hadda cut a h o l e in my aluminum hood:cry:

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I believe it is 2" taller then the Performer or factory intake. The only stock looking air cleaner that might fit, if it clears accessories, is the reproduction Camaro 1" drop base dual snorkel air cleaner. A stock 307 air cleaner was not even close to fitting on my 88. Another nice thing about my 70S, since it was designed to fit the BBO, even the Victor will fit under the hood with the SBO. My 307 air cleaner turned into a dual snorkel easily fit, I am considering a 1" open spacer and may try that on the 424. Unfortunately trial and error, due to body and motor mount condition will be necessary to see how well it fits. It is a nice sweeping intake, some say Performer for mild builds with back to back track times to prove it. Others have gained at the track with Vin 9 307's, so a can of worms indeed. What are your 350's specs?

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE
I have heard so many times about people experiencing clearance issues ( using the stock air cleaner ) that I now just take it as fact!

I want to know the real problems and solutions since I have one sitting and the A4 intake I have on the engine now has a leak.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor