EL CAMINO EFI conversion - fuel return line - use existing 'vent' line or new sending unit??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
Hi yall,

I'm doing an efi conversion on my 1986 el camino with the holley sniper kit. I already have a return 'vent' fuel line that goes through a carbon filter box (i think). Would it be ok to use the vent line for the return fuel line the EFI system needs, or do I need to purchase a new sending unit with an extra port and drop the gas tank for the install?

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Reactions: 1 users

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
You could use the hard line used for the vent line (Eliminate the canister), but If I recall, you are going to have to drop the tank anyway because the vent on the sender (and also the return) just dumps the returned fuel into the top of the tank, which would aerate the fuel. You want to make sure the return is dumping into the very bottom of the tank. The kits have an extension tube for this, or at least they did.

good luck with the Sniper, best mod I’ve made to my Cutlass.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
Sweet thanks guys. I see a spectra unit on amazon that looks like itll also work too if I miss the dixie restoration unit. I'd love to just use the "vent" line already in place, but I think your right about it dumping fuel into the top of the tank... I also read somewhere that there is a baffle in the original sender that restricts flow and can back up if not removed. So seems like the gas tank will be coming out.

fleming422 - such a helpful comment :blah:

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
LOL Flem, more nonsense :blah: bro get outa my thread if you have nothing constructive to contribute. Everyone else here is having a good time helping each other, not sure what your problem is.

Use the corvette fuel filter/regulator. it has the return built in. I put one when I did the fitech on my malibu. Avoided running a return all the way back. I kept my vent to the canister.

Part # here https://gbodyforum.com/threads/fitech-efi-swap.59817/

Thanks for this tip, I'm definitely going this route with the corvette regulator/filter. Will save me having to run the EFI return line all the way back from the throttle body.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor