EFI factory fuel tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have an 86' Regal that I am considering fuel injection for and would like to know what brand factory replacement EFI tanks have been used and what if any issues were involved for installation.
Part numbers would be great also.
Also what upgraded pumps fit at this time I am figuring no more than 350 horsepower.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Rockauto. Get a tank for the 87 Regal (GN) with fuel injection.

SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT GM307C {#22523080} Lock Ring Kit Included

You could also get a sender from there. As for a fuel pump, I get the Walbro 255 lph from Racetronix. I can get the part numbers in a bit.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
From my research, I believe a 4.3l TBI monte tank works with its sender as well as a GN tank and sender. As far as I have read they have similar baffling. However, the GN tank and sender is slightly more money:

Monte tank (~$100):
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog....3l+262cid+v6,1056350,fuel/air,fuel+tank,6268

Monte sender ($40):
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...,1056350,fuel/air,fuel+tank+sending+unit,4436

GN tank:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...+turbocharged,1020957,fuel/air,fuel+tank,6268

GN sender:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...,1020957,fuel/air,fuel+tank+sending+unit,4436

Here is a thread from malibu racing where somebody describes the swap:
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=100893

As far as the pump goes, at no more than 350 HP and a BSFC of conservatively .6, it needs to supply ~35 gph or 132 lph. A stock fuel injection pump may be able to supply this. However, for some overhead, a pump like the 255 lph (68 gph) Walbro GSS342 could be used.

I plan on running this pump as it is fairly cheap compared to other external pumps with a similar rating and should be nicer for the street:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMPQYHI/?tag=gbody-20

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Good information there.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Spectra is the most widely used tank for our G bodies. Keep in mind that the GM307C is WITH the filler neck for a Buick Regal. I purchased GM3C which is cheaper and comes without the filler neck so I can weld on the correct Cutlass neck. The Regal filler neck fits high in the Cutlass opening, not sure about a MCSS. Pics showing incorrect fitment are on LS1tech.com

The plumbing on that Malibu write up is scary. Looks like he is using Parker Push lock barbs and fittings. :eek: OK for water but gasoline? Not for me.

I am using the factory GM nylon hose and fittings. Simple, safe and you get factory appearance. Check out the write ups on LS1tech.com before you spend $500 on goofy aftermarket anodized fittings. Most of the fittings are available new from Dorman. You can also score the hose and fittings from most mid 90's Cadillacs in the bone yard.

Good luck

• Informative

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Spectra is the most widely used tank for our G bodies. Keep in mind that the GM307C is WITH the filler neck for a Buick Regal. I purchased GM3C which is cheaper and comes without the filler neck so I can weld on the correct Cutlass neck. The Regal filler neck fits high in the Cutlass opening, not sure about a MCSS. Pics showing incorrect fitment are on LS1tech.com

The plumbing on that Malibu write up is scary. Looks like he is using Parker Push lock barbs and fittings. :eek: OK for water but gasoline? Not for me.

I am using the factory GM nylon hose and fittings. Simple, safe and you get factory appearance. Check out the write ups on LS1tech.com before you spend $500 on goofy aftermarket anodized fittings. Most of the fittings are available new from Dorman. You can also score the hose and fittings from most mid 90's Cadillacs in the bone yard.

Good luck

Interesting info about hoses. Do you know if there is an ethanol approved/rated hose that work with these fittings?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Interesting info about hoses. Do you know if there is an ethanol approved/rated hose that work with these fittings?

Nylon (polyamid) is a high crystalline material and is highly chemical resistant so no problem there. From what I am seeing most of the fittings are either nylon or some form of galvanized or stainless so also likely not an issue. My 2009 L92 is E85 compatible and came with nylon fuel lines from the factory.

• Informative

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Nylon (polyamid) is a high crystalline material and is highly chemical resistant so no problem there. From what I am seeing most of the fittings are either nylon or some form of galvanized or stainless so also likely not an issue. My 2009 L92 is E85 compatible and came with nylon fuel lines from the factory.
Thanks for the info! I'll head over to LS1tech to search more.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan

GBodyShop

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2007
NYC
I Purchase the Spectrum Premium GM307C, This one is used mostly from the GN Guys, The metal Baffles inside the tank is the closet to original. If you planning to do this to regal, this tank is your best choice. The Tank is made in Canada, That the C at the end of the part number. I order mine from summit racing, but i found the best price out there and price match with them. They also price match from eBay as long its a commercial seller. Did the same with the Sending unit. and used a Aeromotive fuel pump. I hope this help.

I paid: Fuel Tank GM307C - 133.96
Sending Unit FG156A - 80.34
Aeromotive Pump 11569 - 112.95

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor