EGR removal & check engine light

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
So now that my Caprice passed inspection, I was wondering how to go about the EGR removal.

As of right now, I’ve taken the vacuum line out, plugged the hose going to the carburetor, and the ones leaving the t stat housing, and unplugged the sensor.

Is a block off plate all I need now? And also, guessing it’s needing a code reader to reset the ECM and get rid of the light? Thanks.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
So reading the codes, it seems to be 15 for the error here. Or the coolant temp sensor more specifically.

Is there a resistor I can wire in the connector to make the ECM turn off the light? Just thinking that's all.

1620438686700.png

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
on something that is bone stock removing egr isn't really necessary unless it's broken. it doesnt rob power or harm anything.

Code 15 is for low temp, wire could be broken or have a bad ground possibly.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Only thing I can think of is if your Caprice uses CCC, you can install a ZZ4 performance PROM chip to delete EGR. But you will also need a 87 or 88 L69 ECM.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
on something that is bone stock removing egr isn't really necessary unless it's broken. it doesnt rob power or harm anything.

Code 15 is for low temp, wire could be broken or have a bad ground possibly.
It's not completely broken, but it is the original unit and I'd imagine is definitely covered with carbon deposits.

And for sure, I unplugged it because I plan to replace the housing, since a new one with the EGR plugs and temp sensor is more expensive than the other standard AC Delco one with the two holes that are filled by two brass plugs.

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
So reading the codes, it seems to be 15 for the error here. Or the coolant temp sensor more specifically.

Is there a resistor I can wire in the connector to make the ECM turn off the light? Just thinking that's all.

View attachment 174909

View attachment 174909
Code 15 is Temperature circuit is open (the engine must run for 5 minutes under 800 RPM to set this code) and it’s usually related to a code 14 which indicates a shorted coolant sensor. Check your wiring to the coolant sensor for breaks, insulation chafing, corrosion in the plug if everything is good replace the sensor. The coolant sensor is one of the most important inputs for the ECM, it uses it to calculate and adjust air/fuel mixture, timing adjustments etc. I wouldn’t recommend trying to bypass it if you plan on continuing to run an ECM controlled engine

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Maybe this will be helpful

Attachments

• EGR G-BODY.pdf
    73.6 KB · Views: 171
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor