El Camino Aftermarket Front Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmtofd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2015
Reaching out to El Camino/Caballero community on those who took the plunge and an brought aftermarket front bumper. Heard that there are fit problem?

Thanks for any responses.

Tony

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I've never worked w/an aftermarket elco front bumper BUT any and all aftermarket parts are and have been a complete and total crap shoot.

Hotrodder383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2019
Agreed, I bought a roll pan due to mine being hit in the *ss end. While I love the look of the roll pan this one is cheap crap. Gel-coat wasn't done right, it is too thin for my taste and the mounting points are a joke. So, once I can side line her and find a different daily driver I will try and modify it to fit better.

Fnlowrider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2020
Myrtle beach
I happen to be going through some old posts and I had to read yours about aftermarket bumper I was wondering how you made out I put front and rear aftermarket bumpers on my Caballero and they came out beautiful and fit great

gmtofd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2015
No aftermarket rear bumpers available for Malibu, so had a core rechromed. Did not install yet as I was going to wait until I do the body mount replacement thing. Planned on getting a front bumper rechromed as well as was told the fit is not good with the aftermarket?

Yours went on okay and looks good?

Fnlowrider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2020
Myrtle beach
I see you had your rear bumper rechromed I don't know what year your Malibu is but opgi is showing rear bumpers for Malibu's in their catalog with my Caballero as I said I installed two new bumpers from Dixie Restorations about 4 months ago my car is a daily driver and it was used all winter so far so good time will tell if the Chrome hold up you can check out my showcase pics to take a look I'm not sure how well you can inspect the bumpers but they're interesting pics of my restoration good luck with yours

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I just went around the problem of factory bumpers alltogether. 😜

Attachments

• 20200222_175027.jpg
    20200222_175027.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 465
Reactions: 1 users

Fnlowrider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2020
Myrtle beach
Yeah I guess you did if you don't mind telling me what part of the country do you live how often do you drive that tell me about it

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Jacksonville, fl. Drive a company work van, so don't have to drive it often these days. I've done 3 different front & rear looks the past 27 years. Custom avoids needing factory parts, but definitely is more work than most could attempt.
First change was cutting, narrowing , & tucking steel bumpers, & then painting. Refined stock look & more in reach of the average skilled person to do.
Places such as bumper boyz sell rechromed bumpers for decent prices, but quality is marginal. Great rechromers like Paul's could easily run around $900 or so .

Fnlowrider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2020
Myrtle beach
Thanks for getting back to me I eat the stuff right up 7 customizing motorcycles 4 years it's amazing the things you can think of

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor