El Camino bed questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
My 84 bed is in mostly good shape. There is a spot under the back window where someone clearly patched the seam of the bed with some sort of caulk. ITs really sloppy. I can see that the bed has a seam seal al the way around so I'm guessing my next step is to clean up the sloppy ness and re-seam seal it. Then I plan to seal the bed. I'm guessing Rhino lining or something similar. The car was previously garage kept, but not anymore. So I need to seal up the bed. If I can I'll mount some anchor points before I seal it.

Does anyone have any similar experience? Any suggestions? Next steps are to take the car to an auto glass place and re-seal the front and back windows.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I have a 1981 El Camino SS And my bed had been "Rhino " lined before it had been painted .And I have a habit when I wash the truck is to clean out around the rear widow especially .Because in my area pine needles seem to want to collect there .And I have installed my hold downs to make sure its sealed under them .I used some black RTV under the rubber piece do so.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I have a 1981 El Camino SS And my bed had been "Rhino " lined before it had been painted .And I have a habit when I wash the truck is to clean out around the rear widow especially .Because in my area pine needles seem to want to collect there .And I have installed my hold downs to make sure its sealed under them .I used some black RTV under the rubber piece do so.
I'd love to see a few photos if you have them. If you don't want to post them I can send you my email address. Sounds like what I'm planning.
Any advice or learnings from your experience?

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I have over 30 years of driving truck .Marine Corps and Commercial (CDL) .So I have a lot of experience of how to secure a variety of cargo. And I what to use to do so. I wanted a tie down point that would be sticking up when I wasnt using them. A so called "clean "look .So I found the Erickson Hide -A -Hooks truck or trailer anchors (2 pack) 1200 LBS pert # EM09094 for around $20.00 I found them at a local Fred Meyers store .But they are available online. I bought mine El Camino SS from a friend of mine who had the "Rhino " spray on bed liner before he painted it .I have it so I can use a "spider net ' for mini Japanese pick up. Use rope and a blue tarp to cover DOD regulation to cover my loads So it wont flap around .I have hauled a variety of items including a big block Chevrolet with no issues ,

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor