El Camino build questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
Hi everyone, thanks for letting me join. I have a number of questions regarding my G body (87 El Camino) build I feel confidant can be answered here. It will never see a track but I do want a strong running, good handling car that I can drive anywhere if I want. It wont be my daily driver but it has to have AC (in Texas) and be something decent to drive. I have been spoiled by several fast, great handling cars I have owned over the years and this one needs to fit that criteria also.

I bought a wrecked 13 Camaro SS with 20k miles on it for the computer, motor and 6 speed auto to use in the build. Motor is an aluminum 6.2 L99 with a 6180E trans. All Muscle rods swap parts. Motor has had Texas Speed and Performance head work (porting, valves, springs, retainers, etc.), DOD and VVT delete, a big TSP cam, Muscle rods (Hedman) 1 7/8 long tube headers, Holly intake and Nick Williams throttle body and 3K rpm Yank converter. In addition I have a Ford 9" with trac lock (mechanical posi), Moser 31 spline axles and a 370 rear pinion with Wilwood Dyna lite 4 piston brakes. The drive train is done at this point.

Now I am working on front suspension, tires & wheels, etc and can use some help. I am thinking tubular (either Spohn or UMI) upper and lower tube A arms and coil springs and shocks. I like coilovers but I know a number of people with them that cant seem to get them to work right and are always working on them or replacing something. I don't want to do that. I am looking for recommendations on dropping the car. Drop spindles or lower springs,?, etc Pros and cons of each? What I am thinking now is A Arms, drop spindles, good shocks and springs to firm up the ride a little. Any thoughts on how I can do this better?

I want to run the biggest tires I can without anything rubbing. I am considering the UMI frame notch. Does anyone now how much it opens up tire and wheel options? Is there a better solution? I plan to have the fenders rolled and will get a little clearance from that too.

Finally wheel and tire sizes. I would like to run at least a 17" wheel that will clear the brakes (big Wilwoods up front too). What wheel and tire sizes will work with and without notching the frame? Tires sizes with and without? Once done with this part then sway bars, etc to finish.

Thanks and I appreciate the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor