Status
Not open for further replies.

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
What is the process for switching a 1980 el camino from a bench seat/column shifter to a bucket seat/floor shifter setup? I really like the look of these and was considering making the change myself but I want to know what all it entails. And for those who have done it, what kind of seats and what kind of shifter did you get? Thanks

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Assuming it's not a 60/40 bench, you'll need to weld the inner brackets for the seats (2 on each side) in. These can be sourced from a split bench car, the brackets are the same.

Console will require 2 brackets (3 if you plan to use the "breadbox" at the front of the console) will need to be added to secure shifter and console.

Both the seat and console brackets are reproduced.

A hole will need to be added to the floor for the shift cable. There is a seal for the cable to prevent debris/water/fumes from entering the cabin.

Obviously, a floor shift column will be preferred, although some people remove the shift lever and smooth the existing column bowl.

Seats are widely varied, personal preference is something era-correct

In my case, I bought a rough MCSS for use as a donor car, which gave me everything for the conversion. I was able to resell the donor car after removing everything I wanted (interior parts and more) for what I paid for it. (I did pick up a set of the correct highback seats after the fact, and sold the lowback MCSS seats)

This is mine (Malibu) after the refurbishing

Attachments

• SAM_2097.JPG
    SAM_2097.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 493
Reactions: 2 users

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
Assuming it's not a 60/40 bench, you'll need to weld the inner brackets for the seats (2 on each side) in. These can be sourced from a split bench car, the brackets are the same.

Console will require 2 brackets (3 if you plan to use the "breadbox" at the front of the console) will need to be added to secure shifter and console.

Both the seat and console brackets are reproduced.

A hole will need to be added to the floor for the shift cable. There is a seal for the cable to prevent debris/water/fumes from entering the cabin.

Obviously, a floor shift column will be preferred, although some people remove the shift lever and smooth the existing column bowl.

Seats are widely varied, personal preference is something era-correct

In my case, I bought a rough MCSS for use as a donor car, which gave me everything for the conversion. I was able to resell the donor car after removing everything I wanted (interior parts and more) for what I paid for it. (I did pick up a set of the correct highback seats after the fact, and sold the lowback MCSS seats)

This is mine (Malibu) after the refurbishing
So mine actually is a 60/40, does that mean that I will not have to weld those brackets? And correct me if I'm wrong but you just used the console and shifter from your donor car and bought new console brackets?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If you have split bench, you'll already have the inner brackets in place.

I used the brackets from the donor car for the seats and the console...along with console, shifter, cable seal, column, steering box, swaybars, inner seatbelts, headliner board, inst cluster, and some other stuff. Would have used the rear axle, but the guy bs'ed me on it....it had been switched for a 2.29 open

Still, net free is free. I tried to talk the buyer for what was left out of it, but he REALLY wanted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor