1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

El camino rear widebody& raised rear quarters

Discussion in 'Body / Trim / Paint' started by jlcustomz, Jan 12, 2018 at 6:33 PM.

1. jlcustomz

jlcustomz Master Mechanic

Planning sheet metal changes on the still damaged passenger side of my el camino. Changed to a 2016 Camaro nose & 2016 z06 vette rear bumper over 1 1/2 years ago & still need to finish blending things in.
    I'll finally delete the stainless sword blades at bedrail location & cut off the 1959 chevy tailfin shape on my aluminum bedcover. Figured on using the tops of front fenders to cap off my rear quarter tops to a new raised shape & having the bedcover fit between them like a trunk lid.
    While I'm at it figured I'd plan on doing some sort of widebody look to the rear quarter. probably 1 1/2 to 2 " wider at the fender lips, not stupid wide or anything.
    I'll be lazy & post a link to ECC showing what I'm figuring on.
    http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=230161

2. 1evilregal

1evilregal Royal Smart Person

I like the idea, def keep the updates or links coming! nice to see something a little different come down the pike!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jlcustomz

I think part of the look I end up with will come down partly to what can I do with the shapes I can obtain without taking forever & a day to weld & shape .Adding an extension to the top of the quarters to replace the upward rise of my bedcover will be a whole bunch more work, but will also present an opportunity for a much more aggressive musclecar shape. Since I won't be able to start this for a while anyways ,looking at possibly using portions of musclecar upper rear quarters that have a suitable upper shape to work with. So looking into what vehicles with an even close to long enough upper quarter. Of course availability & price will be a large factor. Looking into 67 & early 70's mustang fastbacks since I work near a mustang salvage place & only need to upper part of quarters.

Any vehicle suggestions for upper quarter panel ?? 69 charger?
    https://www.google.com/search?biw=1......0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.oMlFFUQx5uo

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en.....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.1.108.0...0.dRO95hXWNGA

#3 jlcustomz, Jan 14, 2018 at 12:33 PM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 3:09 PM
  4. Wraith

Wraith Master Mechanic

I've watched your builds across several forums and love you willingness to jump right in a modify. Interesting concept to go wide body, I wonder if an IMSA style flare like the one on the 2 door wagon would look the best with the El Camino slab sides?

• Like Like x 1
  5. jlcustomz

Using top portion of 69 charger rear quarter seems to be best option.
    View of gentle cokebottle shape.
    [​IMG]muscle_cars_dodge_dodge_charger_car_stylish_83882_1440x900 by joe leleux, on Flickr
    Top profile view.
    [​IMG]138027_Side_Profile_Web by joe leleux, on Flickr
    Here I traced to scale a charger quarter over an old to scale drawing, forgot to delete quarter window. Will probably sit lower.
    [​IMG]20180116_002213 by joe leleux, on Flickr
    If you lay it over the #2 drawing below, it's pretty close to my first sketch.
    [​IMG]20180110_165056 by joe leleux, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1