El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I do a bit of reading and in doing research about frames I read that the A body El Caminio came with a boxed frame due to no roof to stiffen the car. I knew that one model of the Chevelle coupe and all the convertibles came with a factory boxed frame but I didn't realize the El Camino's did as well. I thought you guys with a El Camino that has a C section of the that is close to 10" longer than in the sedan G body would be interested in this.

Last edited:

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I've got a '78 model. Would that fall under the A body classification? I'm ignorant when it comes to the differences in the frames between the '78 El Camino and my '79 Olds Cutlass. Haven't even taken the time to visually look.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I've got a '78 model. Would that fall under the A body classification? I'm ignorant when it comes to the differences in the frames between the '78 El Camino and my '79 Olds Cutlass. Haven't even taken the time to visually look.

It does fall under the A body classification but it meets the specs of the G body clarification so if you are asking if your frame is boxed from factory unfortunately it isn't. The wheelbase of your Cutlass is 108" while the El Camino is 117.1"

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
It does fall under the A body classification but it meets the specs of the G body clarification so if you are asking if your frame is boxed from factory unfortunately it isn't. The wheelbase of your Cutlass is 108" while the El Camino is 117.1"
So being a little longer framed, it's actually probably a little more flimsy. Interesting. And I guess boxing in the frames has been done on numerous occasions.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So being a little longer framed, it's actually probably a little more flimsy. Interesting. And I guess boxing in the frames has been done on numerous occasions.

if you take a g body frame in good shape on it's own you can lift one rear frame rail about a foot before it affects the other frame rail. Once I boxed my GP frame there is no more movement in the frame if you lift one frame rail and it stiffens up the car noticeably. I took the body off to do the body bushings so it made sense to me to box the frame at that time...

Reactions: 1 user

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
My 70 El Camino doesn't have a boxed frame, neither did the 72 parts Elky. I believe it was just the convertibles and hi po A bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor