ElCamino owners, if your getting a wet rear floor board

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
If you have noticed your rear carpet area getting wet during or after a good rain, don't assume the back glass is leaking. I had sections of seam sealer missing below the back window. I could see into the car. Where the curved bed sides are pinch welded to the rear cab panel below the rear window. I had one spot about the thickness of two nickels just under the rear window lower trim. I removed the back window trim, picked out the seam sealer to the bottom of the bed floor, taped off my rear window, used a small sandblaster on the seam, blew it out, and sprayed it with an aerosol can of SEM self etching primer. I let it sit all night and then used tape at the edge of the seams and ran my new seam sealer through a caulking gun down the seams. I then smoothed them with my finger and pulled the tape. Looks real nice with crisp edges. I got new carpet but don't want to install till the water leaks are fixed.

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
elcaminoseams.jpg

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Also might add that your back window trim clips will be brittle and break. My local paint supply store had one package but ordered me some more. The brand is Disco and they come in a 5 pack. Part number 985MT. You can probably find them on ebay too.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The seam where that panel under the window meets the bedfloor is also a common spot for a leak also. Or if it's like my 79 somebody drilled holes for a bed cover at one time in its life.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I hear ya on the bed cover. All those black spots are welded and ground screw holes from a bed cover. I still have the ones on the bedsides and tailgate to weld up. Going to remove the trim so I don't get weld spatter on it. Some of its loose anyway.

Bill Creller

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2016
Saginaw Michigan area
Typical......rear windows on Elcos....those that leak, and those that will...
The '87 I just acquired has the leaky rear window, and the windshield is cracked, so I'll have both removed to check for rust before doing anymore. carpet is wet of course.....

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Good tip and a very common problem.

86 CCC*

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2014
Like yours, the seams are cracked in the corners of mine. The good news is the window doesn't leak (yet).
The biggest leaks are from the holes made from the lag bolts holding the cargo tie-downs on the bed's walls. I will eventually weld them shut and remount the hold-downs with Riv-Nuts and silicone.

Good job, HAFROD. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor