Elco won't start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrummer43

n00b
Mar 2, 2019
My 1987 Chevrolet El Camino has been in storage all winter. It has been hooked up to a battery tender for most of it and I started almost every week. The past two Winters there has been mice in the car although no signs of them are currently present. Today, I turned the key in the ignition to start it, I heard a tick, then nothing. I tried several more times and got no response at all. I know it is not the battery, but have no further clues. Please help! Thanks in advance.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Mice and other rodents really like chewing on wires which could be one issue.
Did you actually check the voltage on the battery,even though I think it was a fluke my buddies battery maintainer failed and killed the battery.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Battery voltage? Below 12 and it may not have the juice to do more than pull in the solenoid -'click'.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
About 14.5V, if the guage is to be believed
A battery without an alternator charging it while running should be about the 12.7 volt range, I would get a volt meter and check the battery at the posts.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
A battery without an alternator charging it while running should be about the 12.7 volt range, I would get a volt meter and check the battery at the posts.
Yes, that.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
It could also be one or more of several other things.
  • Corrosion on cable ends
  • Loose cable connection to battery
  • Loose ignition switch wire at solenoid
  • Bad Neutral Safety Switch (they do occasionally go out)
  • Loose ground to chassis or engine ( G Bodies check the alternator bracket. The battery ground to the engine was usually there)

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
You can have all kinds of voltage. Amperage is what does the work. That is why you test a battery with a load tester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor