electric cooling fans stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
I took the 81 Malibu to a street cruise and after a few laps the Malibu started running about 5 to 10 degrees hotter then last few laps. We pulled in to a gas station after getting some fuel, I popped the hood and found one of the fans stopped working. I was checking the relays (not sure which relay runs which fan)and the last fan would stop and start every time I would wiggle the 12volt wire coming from the fuse box. A few minutes down the road the last fan stop working . Hurry up and got on the highway. Made it home with no fans. The first fan stopped because the wire from the 12 volt wire coming from fuse box to the relay got disconnected . Not sure why the other fan stopped working. The next day after I plugged the wire back in to the fuse box both fans work fine. So my problem is why did the other fan stop working, can the relay get hot enough to stop power to the fan, or is there something Im missing ? all the fuses and switch are good. Each fan runs its owe relay, battery power, fuse, ground and 12 volt power from separate fuse box plugs. the only thing the fans share is the switch.

Thanks Doug

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I had a 40 amp relay do that long ago when I was at the Dream Cruise not long after that I replaced both of them with 70 amp relays

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Do you have a source for reliable 70 amp relays that don't cost a fortune? I have also had multiple 40 amp relay failures.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Do you have a source for reliable 70 amp relays that don't cost a fortune? I have also had multiple 40 amp relay failures.
I think these are the ones I used but back then they were about $8, I have had my fuel pump and 3 fans wired with 70 amp relays for probably going on 20 years with no issues but all of my accessory wiring has also been upgraded.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I think these are the ones I used but back then they were about $8, I have had my fuel pump and 3 fans wired with 70 amp relays for probably going on 20 years with no issues but all of my accessory wiring has also been upgraded.
Thanks, those are affordable. Think I will buy two, one for a spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor