EL CAMINO ELECTRIC DOOR LOCK WIRING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
On a 78 El Camino or Caballero is there a wire connector where the wiring goes from the cowl to the door?

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
OK, a 78 El Camino is 5th Gen; my 87 is same generation, so, hopefully, this information may help you.

The wiring harness for electric door locks is high-up under the dash and, therefore, may appear to be coming from the cowl. For door locks, there are several wires which maybe white, black, and orange...if I remember correctly. These wires connect to a relay which is positioned low and behind the passenger's side kick panel. The main issues for malfunctioning door locks is the ground.

What kinds of problems are you experiencing and in need of assistance other than confirming the path of the wires/connector coming from the cowl?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
OK, a 78 El Camino is 5th Gen; my 87 is same generation, so, hopefully, this information may help you.

The wiring harness for electric door locks is high-up under the dash and, therefore, may appear to be coming from the cowl. For door locks, there are several wires which maybe white, black, and orange...if I remember correctly. These wires connect to a relay which is positioned low and behind the passenger's side kick panel. The main issues for malfunctioning door locks is the ground.

What kinds of problems are you experiencing and in need of assistance other than confirming the path of the wires/connector coming from the cowl?
.....and light blue.
The original question sparked a smarta$$ remark, but seriously, did you even look? Pop the grommet in the door jamb, stick your head under the dash and look.
The other question is: why are you looking for the connector?

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
Happen to have this picture handy from when I hooked up remote power door locks in my 84 El Camino. This is the relay behind the passenger kick panel as others have advised.
MVC-467S.JPG

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
.....and light blue.
The original question sparked a smarta$$ remark, but seriously, did you even look? Pop the grommet in the door jamb, stick your head under the dash and look.
The other question is: why are you looking for the connector?
Yes I have done all that you suggest. I am not worried about the locks working. I need to take the door off to replace a door hinge pin and just wonder if there is connection rite there to to take the wire loose. No problem with the smarta$$ remark. I probably would have said the same thing.:)

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Oh okay...and now we know the rest of the story!!! Yes, actually, there are two connectors if your elky has power windows. Once you pull off the kick panel, the connectors can be found in a pocket above the relay and hidden within the A-pillar support structure.

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
Oh okay...and now we know the rest of the story!!! Yes, actually, there are two connectors if your elky has power windows. Once you pull off the kick panel, the connectors can be found in a pocket above the relay and hidden within the A-pillar support structure.
No power windows, just electric door locks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor