Electric fan conversion temp. question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insubordination

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2012
Norway
I've been thinking on this for some time, but my limited knowledge has me stumped.

I'm converting to electrical fans. And I want them to start automaticly at a given temperature. My thermostat in my Olds 350 engine opens at 195 F (91C). A stock thermostat in accordance with the service manual.

So what I'm wondering about is at what temperature should my fans kick in / what temp unit to get?

I have one lying around for 200 F (93,3 C), but that seems a bit to soon.

Anyone?

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
Remember too that the thermostat gradually open until at 195 then its fully open so you still have some circulation. I would go with a 212-202 temp switch so its rated just above your t-stat rating. This way, you get some circulation through the system at moderate and higher speeds where airflow should be sufficient enough to keep engine cool without the fan kicking on. If you have the fans come on too early, you never really give your cooling system a chance to shed heat first before a fan is even needed to kick on.

It's this reason why I think most people choose too early of a fan turn on. You want the off temp to be just slightly higher than the t stat open rating. Hope that clears some questions up.

Insubordination

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2012
Norway
Anubis said:
Where is a good place to get temperature sending units? I'm a cheap bastage and don't want to pay Summit $35-$40 for one. Anyone know of a good source?

I second the cheap bastage stance for myself as well. And good question.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My research indicates that an OE Grand National fan switch (3053190) is on at 210* and off at 200*. These were the crossover numbers according to the interwebz. Hope it helps:
AC Delco 15-4229
B/W TFS1
STD TS-147
Niehoff DR137S
Echlin FS110

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I just installed new dual electric fans, the company I used recommended using a 160 T-stat. Fan sending unit turns fans on @ 195 and off @ 175. They say that 160 will run cool enough so fans are not running all the time

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
84cutspreme said:
I just installed new dual electric fans, the company I used recommended using a 160 T-stat. Fan sending unit turns fans on @ 195 and off @ 175. They say that 160 will run cool enough so fans are not running all the time

Im thinking of running a 160 t stat in my water neck as well, have u test drove it to see if it stats freash?

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
I would not suggest running a 160 t-stat....you will get a much better and more complete fuel atomization if you run between 190-200. If you run too cool you'll use way more fuel and it'll build up a lot more carbon deposits. Running an engine too cool is not a good thing.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
From what I have learned and have been told, Olds motors like to run at 195-210 degrees, depending on the season. Any t-stat that opens at 160 or even 180, would keep the engine too cool and not at optimum performance temp. After my lastest fiasco with my electric fan, I see no benefit to pulling off the manual fan and hope and pray the electric fan/relay doesnt burn up! If you do go with an electric fan, dont use a 30 amp relay...use at least a 40 amp one. I believe that is why mine burned up. good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor