Electric fan install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishbait17

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2019
What up guys I am installing An electric fan. I just wanted to know if anyone new a close 12v ignition source close to the radiator. I’m just trying to keep from running a lot of wire thanks.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
I just wanted to know if anyone new a close 12v ignition source close to the radiator. I’m just trying to keep from running a lot of wire thanks.

Just use the battery itself. An electric fan requires a relay to handle the current, so you're already tapping into the battery as is. Run your beefy 'high power' input wire (with a fuse!) from the battery to terminal 30 of the relay, and also attach a very short smaller wire from that same terminal to go to the 'low power' relay trigger (either terminal 85 or 86). Run a beefy wire from the 'high power' output (terminal 87) to your fan power input. Finally, run a small ground input wire from the remaining 'low power' terminal (85 or 86) to whatever is going to trip/activate the fan. It is very easy to hide one thin wire.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
454GP, thanks for the very thorough and detailed information on the best way to wire E-fans. I plan to do a similar install on my '87 El Camino and this information will be perfect and very useful.

Reactions: 1 user

Fishbait17

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2019
Just use the battery itself. An electric fan requires a relay to handle the current, so you're already tapping into the battery as is. Run your beefy 'high power' input wire (with a fuse!) from the battery to terminal 30 of the relay, and also attach a very short smaller wire from that same terminal to go to the 'low power' relay trigger (either terminal 85 or 86). Run a beefy wire from the 'high power' output (terminal 87) to your fan power input. Finally, run a small ground input wire from the remaining 'low power' terminal (85 or 86) to whatever is going to trip/activate the fan. It is very easy to hide one thin wire.
See I was going to do that but the company said not to because this fan has a thermostat sensor that activates when the coolant temperature hit 185 and deactivate when the coolant hots 165. I am suppose to run the 12v ignition wire so in know to stop running when the engine off. Not trying to say anything against what you said because that is what I was going to do but when I learned what I just said I decided I probably need to go ahead and run the wire. So that’s where I’m at thank you tho for your input it sincerely helps.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
See I was going to do that but the company said not to because this fan has a thermostat sensor that activates when the coolant temperature hit 185 and deactivate when the coolant hots 165. I am suppose to run the 12v ignition wire so in know to stop running when the engine off. Not trying to say anything against what you said because that is what I was going to do but when I learned what I just said I decided I probably need to go ahead and run the wire. So that’s where I’m at thank you tho for your input it sincerely helps.

just wondering if the company gave you installation instructions why you asked the question and then tell the helpful member he wasted his time..... :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Fishbait17

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2019
just wondering if the company gave you installation instructions why you asked the question and then tell the helpful member he wasted his time..... :unsure:
Sorry bro. All the instructions told me was to wire it to a 12v ignition source it didn’t tell me where so I was asking the kind people on g body form if anyone knew of a close 12v ignition source to the radiator. Sorry if I upset you that was not my intention.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sorry bro. All the instructions told me was to wire it to a 12v ignition source it didn’t tell me where so I was asking the kind people on g body form if anyone knew of a close 12v ignition source to the radiator. Sorry if I upset you that was not my intention.

I would trust the guys here before an instruction sheet or even a helpline.....didn't mean to offend you... :)

what temperature thermostat are you running, the switch you have kicks in at a low temperature and shuts down at 165.....

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You can still wire to the ignition as your trigger wire and draw the main power from a relay as described, if your thermal switch is a ground that can be used for the relay.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor