Electric fan install

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

if you use the 180 thermostat your fan will be continously on trying to get the temperature down to the 175 shut off. Once you get below180 the thermostat will start closing to heat up the coolant temperature in the engine causing the fan to stay on. You need to have the off temperatures of your switch higher than the thermostat you are using

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

icr242005

Apprentice
Mar 3, 2018
Just a FYI. I have a dual fun set up. One fan is set up to kick on and off with temp sensor in manifold. The other is wire to a toggle switch in the car. If it’s a hot summer night and I’m at a cruise night I can turn on the second fan so my first fan doesn’t kick on and off all the or if it just get to hot I can turn both on. Here is my problem that I’m going to change this year. When I installed the first fan I got lazy and used a Constant hot wire that was not being used that was by the relay. Problem is when I shut the car off and the temp is up, the fan will stay on until temp comes down but during that time it is draining my battery down so if I go to start it up right away, my alt belt will squeal until the batteries charged a little bit. Relays can be set up different ways. What has helped me is to look at a 4 pin relay as it have two different side. High and low amp side. High amp side will be battery power in and out which is the bigger wires (I don’t remember the numbers tho) and low amp side will be the trigger side, Usually smaller wires.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I agree on a toggle switch, my low fans are hooked through a toggle switch and 30 amp relay. I plan on running the Davies-Craig adjustable module with the sensor in their coolant hose adapter. Perfect considering I had to extend the upper hose so it wouldn't hit my serpentine conversion.

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
My sensor is in the top return hose where the coolant is at its hottest via a nice anodized hose adapter from eBay. I ran a fused 10ga wire across the core support to a insulated positive terminal bolted to my driver side inner fender. I have several things hooked to that post including the fan and MSD box. It’s also useful for hooking up my timing light without having cables stretched across the moving fan belts.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor