electric fan math help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i have an electric fan that pulls (advertised) 2800 CFM. the area it covers on the radiator is about 16 by 18 (228). im looking at a dual fan set up so as to cover more of the radiator core surface area figuring if i cover most or all of it with a larger shroud like with a dual fan set up then it will be more efficient at cooling but there's a hitch, the dual fans pull 2500 CFM. now that's only 300 CFM less but covers 26.25 x 15.5 (406 sq in) giving an increase in surface area by 78%. i figure even if they pull less air, they cover much more surface area which would more than make up for the 300 cfm loss.

so would it be worth switching to dual fans? i'm thinking yes.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
one other aspect is when on the highway your fan won't be needed so the less covered the more unimpeded air flow thru the rad. I have one perma cool 16" electric with no shroud that pulls 2950 and no problems with over heating. I've had this for 4 years with no glitches

PG17-L2.gif

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
I agree go with the dual fans. They might pull less air but it would give you more even cooling.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
another thing you can do to control the temp is run distilled water with waterwetter or something similar to lubricate the system. Water picks up heat off the engine, antifreeze doesn't.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
got dual fans from a 90's gm midsize car. They don't have a shroud.
P1230369.JPG

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
IMO, running water alone is not ideal in a modern, pressurized system on the street. Reason for that is, although water under pressure will not boil at 212 degrees, it will boil at a lower temp than antifreeze and create a sudden pressure spike, and plastic radiator tanks cant handle it. Todays antifreezes are made with anti surfactants, which help water absorb more heat. Water mixed with antifreeze, even as low as 20%, will help raise the boiling temp above the average running temp of the engine, thus reducing the chance of boil over and high steam pressures .

In the old days, before non pressurized systems, straight water was used without many issues during the warmer months, because the system wouldnt build up enough additional pressure if the water started to boil, and the radiators were two to three times larger in capacity than they are now, allowing for more water, which kept temps lower. Todays radiators only hold about 5x the amount water in the engine, which isnt as much as you might think, and so the system has to be in ideal shape or bad things start to happen fast.

Obviously, larger radiators will offer more protection. More importantly in modern cars with smaller radiators, smaller grilles, etc... adequate air flow, proper coolant mix and levels, and good water flow are also vital to keeping an engine running at the right temps, all yr long. Two fans will cool quicker than one, in most cases. But I think having one fan set to come on at 190 and the other to come on at 200 or 210 would work better than having them both kick on at the same time...because often, you dont need both working to cool the radiator, except in stop and go traffic situations.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
please give me a link or two where water mixed with antifreeze absorbs more heat than just water. Everything I have seen online and from the knowledge of race teams the general consensus is that water alone is definitely a more efficient coolant and that surfactants such as Water Wetter does make a worthwhile difference

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
pontiacgp said:
please give me a link or two where water mixed with antifreeze absorbs more heat than just water. Everything I have seen online and from the knowledge of race teams the general consensus is that water alone is definitely a more efficient coolant and that surfactants such as Water Wetter does make a worthwhile difference

your contradicting yourself in this statement.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
My post was not intended to be debated, just opinion thrown in for thought....Because it contradicts or differs in opinion from yours, doesnt make it less or more important. However, if you are still in need of more info, read on......

Antifreeze was developed to overcome the shortcomings of water as a heat transfer fluid. In some engines freeze plugs are placed in areas of the engine block where coolant flows in order to protect the engine from freeze damage if the ambient temperature drops below the freezing point of the antifreeze/water mixture. These should not be confused with core plugs, whose purpose is to allow removal of sand used in the casting process of engine blocks (core plugs will be pushed out if the coolant freezes, though).

On the other hand, if the engine coolant gets too hot, it might boil while inside the engine, causing voids (pockets of steam), leading to localized hot spots and the catastrophic failure of the engine. If plain water were to be used as an engine coolant, it would promote galvanic corrosion. Proper engine coolant and a pressurized coolant system can help obviate the problems which make plain water incompatible with automotive engines. With proper antifreeze a wide temperature range can be tolerated by the engine coolant, such as −34 °F (−37 °C) to +265 °F (129 °C) for 50% (by volume) propylene glycol diluted with water and a 15 psi pressurized coolant system.

You would be wise to consider posting a link or article to support YOUR stance, rather than asking me to support mine...just for future reference.... :wink:

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
bill said:
My post was not intended to be debated, just opinion thrown in for thought....Because it contradicts or differs in opinion from yours, doesnt make it less or more important. However, if you are still in need of more info, read on......

You would be wise to consider posting a link or article to support YOUR stance, rather than asking me to support mine...just for future reference.... :wink:

Im not even contradicting your statement if you read the quote in my post, it wasnt even from you! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor