Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Just curious how far you got with the Volvo relay swap? I am considering using the same thing on my two speed fan install. Looks like most people use the BMW dual temp switch, is that what you are using? Thanks in advance!

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I wouldn't buy those because they are Chinese knockoffs of the high quality ones made by Hella. Several reviews show that these have failed. Other problems too.
Here are the good ones:

This is where I've been getting them for years. Yes they are a lot more expensive at $14+ each but worth it for the reliability. I've been using these for over 10 years and never had one fail.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wouldn't buy those because they are Chinese knockoffs of the high quality ones made by Hella. Several reviews show that these have failed. Other problems too.
Here are the good ones:

This is where I've been getting them for years. Yes they are a lot more expensive at $14+ each but worth it for the reliability. I've been using these for over 10 years and never had one fail.

Hella makes products in china and lots of other places in the world

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
You are right in that a lot of good quality parts are manufactured in China. I'd say most if not all high quality automotive parts manufactured there have company representatives at the manufacturing facility to monitor quality control. In the case of Hella, the parent company is located in Germany with the electronics subsidiary headquarters located in Michigan.
Look at those reviews again on those knockoffs, they got the wire colors mixed up on some of those relays.

Also you have to beware of buying even name brand things on Amazon, they are famous for letting counterfeit products get sold from their 3rd party vendors.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
You are right in that a lot of good quality parts are manufactured in China. I'd say most if not all high quality automotive parts manufactured there have company representatives at the manufacturing facility to monitor quality control. In the case of Hella, the parent company is located in Germany with the electronics subsidiary headquarters located in Michigan.
Look at those reviews again on those knockoffs, they got the wire colors mixed up on some of those relays.

Also you have to beware of buying even name brand things on Amazon, they are famous for letting counterfeit products get sold from their 3rd party vendors.
They actually have a manufacturing plant in Illinois as well. Ask me how I know...

If you can do without the 87a pin, they also make solid state relays in the cube form-factor. I believe those are good for 40 amps.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor