electric fan setup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
Want to get an electric fan setup and was wondering a few things. How exactly are they hooked up, wiring etc..? How are they controlled...thermal switch off intake, electrically, etc? Are they running all the time at the same speed or do they speed up with temperature? Don't really know anything about them, can anyone that has done this installation shed some light? thanks

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
You can use a temp sensor which the fan/fans will kick on when it reaches a certain temp. I'm using a single S blade and have it rigged to a switch. This is because I am also running a flex fan, so whenever its a hot day down here in texas, I can use both. Just make sure you check your power and ground and figure out whether you want your fan/ fans to pulled or push so you don't get the wiring backwards.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
usually you get a relay with a temp sensor (threaded are the best--put them in the intake or the head) and can be had adjustable for the trigger temp.
if you want dual speed or the 2 fans separate, you need dual relays. some OEM's have variable speed but that requires a computer or some very fancy wiring/solid state work.
ford mark VIII and taurus fans supposedly push about 4000cfm which is a LOT!! i think that's what i have in mine and i haven't needed high speed.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Just go on summitracing.com they sell a complete wiring kit with installation instructions, everything you need to hook electric fans up

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Get an electric fan set-up (single or dual) from a 3rd gen F-body (Camaro/ Firebird), they mount right in. No drilling in a Monte (friend has one), and only two holes in my GP. Use the factory sensors and relay, which you can get all of from the same donor. I use the single fan and it works great, but of course a dual would be better. Looks stock, cheap, and works great. You cannot get an better.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
I can possibly get a single stock fan setup off a turbo regal. They are a hi and low fan. How would I hook it up to work properly. It doesn't come with any relays or sensors.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
Is there any other cars i should be looking at in the junkyard for a electric fan setup that will bolt right in relatively easy. So far I know of 3rd gen f-bodies and 86/87 Turbo regals. Neither of which I see around here often.
thanks

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
newer volvos have some really good fans, i run one and it moves an assload of air. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor