electric fan setup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The Ford Taurus fans allegedly fit and work well on G-body cars.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
Awesome link thanks!

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Sounds like a good Idea. I may try one if my dual f-body fans go out. I started to say, the way they had them wired to run on high only, wouldn't that shorten their lifespan? But then, at $25 each, who cares!

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I am in the process of installing dual fans out of a 98 Intrepid in my car. They fit in perfect with trimming of the side tabs. The top of them are held in with the Cutlass radiator hold down. At the bottom there is about a 5 inch gap that i plan on fabricating a piece of aluminum to serve as a bracket/shroud. As for the wiring the fans are 2spd so i will have to buy some temp switches. I have the relays ,circuit breakers and everything else i need. Any body have pics of where to put the temp switches? What temp switches are good? That Taurus fan looks like a good option too but i already bought my fans for 20 bucks. 8)

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
as long as they keep it cool and you dont experience any hot wiring, youll be good to go. just remember, the less splices in the wires, the better. :D

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
as long as they keep it cool and you dont experience any hot wiring, youll be good to go. just remember, the less splices in the wires, the better. :D

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Forgot to say. Only draw back was you need a high output alternator. You know something the rolling boom box boys put in their rides to prevent the battery going dead. The fan draws like 25 amps or something. Unless you have a good alternator it will drain your battery.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
"Is the HO alternator just needed for the Taurus fan setup, or would you need a HO alternator for any of the factory fans?"

That all depends on the rest of your electic loads.

Fans main draw is at start up (good spot to use a capacitor) where they double thier draw until they are up to rpm. I have a set-up from a FWD GM car and they spike at 40amps then settle to 20amp.

I would wire a dual fan set-up with 2 different temp sensors ,say 160 and the other at 180 degrees. They would stagger start and there would be little "dual" run time unless sitting in traffic in Texas with the air on.

You could also wire a sensor into the trans cooler to keep the temp down. It would also help cool the engine as it draws threw the rad.

I plan on changing my race car to just this set-up. Had to do quikie wiring to get to the track so they are on seperate toggles/relays for now.

The car will cool in staging lanes with both fans on.

466616750308_0_BG1.jpg

Here is the proposed wiring diagram, made is MS Paint.

WiringGPFinal-1.jpg

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Here is a pics of my set-up. Sorry for the poor quality...
1102091153.jpg

1102091150.jpg

And the fan shroud/bracket i'm working on for the bottom
1102091157.jpg

Now the wiring is my next project...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor