Electric fan setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
My 76 had a 4 blade fan from the factory and squealed after the belts aged and stretched. Replaced it with a hayden fan and clutch and never squealed again. Ran the same setup on my 355 in my Nova at 6000 rpm. Simple and no extra wiring and parts.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That little 4 blade may be heavier than the finger slicer you took off, but I can guarantee it's lighter than a factory 5 or 6 blade and clutch assembly. Ima say weight's not the problem.

Reactions: 1 users

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
I think any 1995 to 2006 will work. I believe someone mentioned the 4cyl models were higher output. I believe mine were from a 2000 Plymouth Breeze 4 cyl, the same car.
Ok.
That little 4 blade may be heavier than the finger slicer you took off, but I can guarantee it's lighter than a factory 5 or 6 blade and clutch assembly. Ima say weight's not the problem.
Ok. I will check my setup again. Maybe I missed something

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
It's tight. I even put a better brand of belt on. I had a flex fan that was broken and never squealed. I put on this better but heavier fan on and it squeals

Its got nothing to do with weight. The 4 blade fan has a higher blade pitch. It has more rotational drag. So every time you try to increase fan speed quickly it slips. A clutch fan is a softer hit on the belts and speeds up gradually to match required speed. And at high engine speed and on the highway, the clutch "disengages" for less drag on the engine when air flow is not needed so it frees up HP. Electric fans became a requirement in front wheel drive cars when they turned the engines sideways or in applications where engine driven fans just did not fit.

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
make sure the pulleys are clean and not worn
Yes and make sure all spacers are in place on all the accessories. Check with a straight edge. There are 4 water pumps lengths for the Olds V8, wreaks havoc on accessories if the wrong one was used. Tighten the power steering and A/C very tight. The alternator is one to be more careful with. I have toasted the bearings from over tightening. Still only minor only minor slack on it. Like I said double check the tightness, all the Dayco Napa and Gates belts I have bought all needed 3 to 4 retightenings due to stretch.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I would have had an aluminum radiator in there by now, anyway. It provided the biggest drop on my Olds.
A big two core is a good idea. I plan adding the GN flaps to smarten up my 88 when the 350 goes back in.

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Radiator has been replaced by previous owner so I'm not sure what kind is in it. Felt very light when I pulled it. I also took the a.c. components off. Even the a.c. condensor piece and put a trans cooler in its place. Put a 180 thermo in it. Still runs less than 180. The new fan is 2" bigger than the previous flex fan and pitch is 32° so I'm not sure if that's part of it as well......I will double check everything tonight. Take both belts off and inspect closer. Degreaser work to clean the grooves?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you have a 180 thermost and it runs cooler than 180 then you have an issue with the gauge and/or sender.....or your thermost isn't closing

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor