Electric fan shrouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
Hey friends!
Which of you upgraded from engine-driven fan to electric fans, and did not simply bolt the fans on the radiator, but went the professional way and installed a fan-shroud? And most importantly, what model/make can you recommend?

I am asking since right now, my Lemans has an OEM 3row copper brass radiator with two SPAL-fans bolted to it, biggest ones that would fit side by side. They move air like a beefed hurricane, but only on the surface where the blades run, so about 40-50% of the radiator doesn't get full airflow, especially since the "snout" of my Lemans isn't exactly airflow-friendly, as parts of the radiator are covered/blocked. On the picture you can see how it looks for now...
20180403_204021.jpg

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Mounting the fans to a radiator core is bad to do. Severely affects the life of the radiator due to vibration. I had Ledfoot Racing custom make one for me and I used dual 12" Spal fans which I purchased from Summit.

IMG_11761.JPG

IMG_15641.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
A shroud is a good idea, both those look nice. Another reason I went with the Dodge Stratus fans, a built in shroud that fits a G body rad quite nicely. The Grand National radiator surround baffles along with a wider A body fan I added have definitely help my 88 Cutlass with the small Euro grills. Consider the GN baffles, really make the fans more effective.

Reactions: 1 users

stuckincincy

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2011
Greater Cincinnati area
I used a 93-97 LT-1 Camaro fan setup, pulls a lot of air. Had to fab up some simple brackets, but it fits the core nicely. I've heard you can use the matching radiator and the shroud then attaches to it.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
Mounting the fans to a radiator core is bad to do. Severely affects the life of the radiator due to vibration. I had Ledfoot Racing custom make one for me and I used dual 12" Spal fans which I purchased from Summit.

I got the Champion shroud with they’re fans and rad

Is it a 3 or 4 row cooler you guys are running in there? :)
I am considering going for a 4row Frostbite with only the shroud, since I already have the fans ^^

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Is it a 3 or 4 row cooler you guys are running in there? :)
I am considering going for a 4row Frostbite with only the shroud, since I already have the fans ^^
Mine is a 3 row and it cools great with the dual Spal fans. Even on a hot Texas summer day in 5PM heavy city traffic with A/C on, it stays under 195.
I'm controlling the fans with a 2-speed setup using 3 relays and a Dakota 2750 controller. I'm also using a trinary switch on the A/C system which turns the fan onto high speed when the high-side pressure gets to a certain pressure. The Dakota controller has an input for hooking up a trinary switch lead.

Btw, I would not buy my fans from Ledfoot. They couldn't even tell me what brand they sold. So I bought my fans separately. Through the years I have had many troubles with offshore made fans and now I will only use Spal or Maradyne.

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Let's see some pics of your fan set-ups. My son and I are dropping a 428 Olds stroker in his Cutlass soon. Just trying to get some ideas for his engine. It will have a Holley sniper set up on it with the big screen controller he bought. Mark Remmel built it for us and said not install an engine fan. Kid already bought a Champion radiator. Mark is known as cutlassefi on the forum here and a few others.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have the standard "Intrepid fan" set up mounted to my big Griffen radiator, which works well to cool my 565 big block.

IMG_1042.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Thanks for the pic...what year Intrepid?
Can't remember the last time I've seen one at the junkyard. Trying to cut back on buying parts, kid is running out of money after buying a truck. He surfs around this forum and said he saw the champion radiator he bought in your Buick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor