MALIBU Electric Fan Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
I’m not the smartest when it comes to wiring/electrical issues, so please be kind.
I’m in the process of installing dual electric fans. The wiring kit includes two (4 prong) relays. #30 wires are to go to the batter.
. I’ve located a wire coming off the battery and when I checked it with the volt meter, it stays hot even without the key on. Should both #30 wires be connected to this wire?

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
Hutch,
Thanks for the Painless information. What I really need is an answer for the last two sentences in my initial post.

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
Hutch,
Thanks for the Painless information. What I really need is an answer for the last two sentences in my initial post.
I would say "YES" you would have a constant 12V Available. Assuming that your fan "On and Off" is controlled by a temperature switch. Mine, sourced from about a 2005 Malibu, has a Battery constant 12 V, running to two Relays, that are controlled by two switches in the dash. That I control, manually ( But sometimes I forget to switch them off)

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Relay pinout... #30(fused +12v source/battery), #87(+12v output/fan), #86(key on +12v source), #85(ground source, manual override/thermal switch)

Attachments

• fan relay wiring.jpg
    fan relay wiring.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: 1 users

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
Thanks. All of your suggestions and drawings have made a big difference. I was able to get it almost finished today.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
When choosing a relay.... find one that has a built in supression diode.

Diode: The diode is responsible for providing transient voltage suppression. The idea behind having a diode is to ensure a smooth transition between states when the relay is switched such that any transient voltage spike is suppressed. When the relay is switched off, the diode provides a low impedance path for any transient in the relay, which effectively diverts any current and voltage spike away from the switching circuitry.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
The fans do not come on after following the diagram that came with the relays.
What steps do I need to take?
Please be specific.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
What are you using to activate the relays with... a thermal switch or a manual override switch?

If you want to test the fans by themselves to make sure they work, hook it directly to the battery terminals temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor