Electric fans and custom shrouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Im posting this on a few G body sites to get ideas, opinions and info. Im just about finished with my car. I was originally going to use a Griffin aluminum radiator and a standard metal fan. After messing around trying to get the Cutlass radiator hold down and shroud to work with the aluminum radiator I decided to order a new copper/brass 4 row radiator and use that instead. I didn't like the fact that the rubber saddles don't fit like original.

Now Im considering using a set of electric fans with the OEM style radiator. I can still use the top piece from the Cutlass. I just wont use the shroud. Ive been looking online at different vendors that sell custom shrouds. I think the new core is 26 1/4 x 17. My plan is to spray the shroud semi gloss black to match the support and hold down. Has anyone done this ? If you have can you post a photo ?
Ive been kicking this around since I placed the order for the radiator 2 weeks ago. It should be here by the end of the week so I need to decide what Im going to do.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Flex a lite claims electric fans are not to be used on 4 row radiators. Makes sense because the fan is overworking to pull air through the thick rad. I learned this on my Malibu. Had an electric fan on my 4 core rad when I installed it, and it did not want to stay below 220* on a hot summer day. I hacked up my original fan shroud a bit to fit over the big 4 core rad, and put a mechanical fan on with an HD fan clutch. Now she sits at 195* or lower all year round in all kinds of traffic.

Just my 2 cents.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
I ask because I've also a 502/615hp chevelle... I've got the aluminum rad w twin electrics and I wish I just stayed with the shroud/fan... Took a long time to get my setup right. A lot of guys over on team chevelle will tell you same thing- stick with a heavy duty fan. I'm going to drop a 383 in my monte when done, and will go fan route this time. Keep us posted, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor