Electric fuel pumps w return lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
hey guys- do return fuel lines need to also have electric fuel pumps vs mechanical?

I've got the 600hp fast times motor running in my 78 Monte- but experiencing fuel boil I believe making it really difficult in traffic.. No return line at all now, mechanical pump in it now too..

Just curious if I go this route is it necessary.. I'm inclined to go that route as sometime in the next sour years probably EFI the setup anyway-

Thanks!!

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
It depends but generally an electric fuel pump will generate a fuel pressure too high for a carburetor and so you will need a fuel pressure regulator. It is best practice to run a return line with this to return the bypassed fuel from the regulator to the tank.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
First I am curious as to what mechanical pump you are running?
I run a Paxton 300 electric pump in my Monte it has a bypass that comes off the pump and goes into my fuel cell and up front I have a BG 4 port regulator that is set for carb pressure, I have never had a fuel issue even sitting in Dream Cruise traffic (not moving).

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
It depends but generally an electric fuel pump will generate a fuel pressure too high for a carburetor and so you will need a fuel pressure regulator. It is best practice to run a return line with this to return the bypassed fuel from the regulator to the tank.
That is unless he gets a holley "red" pump which is electric and maintains carb fuel psi at 7lbs. I ran one on a relay for years before I efi'd my sbc and it never let me down!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
I don't know what's on motor now- will find out but it is mechanical.. Just don't have build sheet w me.

Graham Jones built an awesome Dart small block w rollers, etc..

We suspect the fuel boil IS the issue- I'd assume I'll go EFI anyway(should've 1st), so I'll get the electric pump while having the return line from in-line hooked up..

You guys also use phenolic spacers or should the return line be sufficient?

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
First I am curious as to what mechanical pump you are running?
I run a Paxton 300 electric pump in my Monte it has a bypass that comes off the pump and goes into my fuel cell and up front I have a BG 4 port regulator that is set for carb pressure, I have never had a fuel issue even sitting in Dream Cruise traffic (not moving).
Tell me about this system?- I'd like to learn which is best way to go and do this once if possible- thanks

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Tell me about this system?- I'd like to learn which is best way to go and do this once if possible- thanks
You can build a nice dependable carb fuel system but if you plan on going EFI in the future you would basically be wasting your money.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I disagree. The only money "wasted" is the regulator, and if you buy the right one, all you have to do is change the spring from carb to EFI.
I put a Spectra Premium tank with in tank pump in the red car with a Mallory regulator. I ran -8 supply and -6 return. The problem came when I couldn't get the pressure below 9psi. The return in the sensor was too small, so I teed off to an unused vent port. It works well, and if I ever put a Sniper or FITech on, all I have to do is pull the regulator.
I'm using a GN sender and pump on the Pig project with -6 supply and return.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I disagree. The only money "wasted" is the regulator, and if you buy the right one, all you have to do is change the spring from carb to EFI.
I was referring to a set up like mine since that is what the OP asked me about, which is an external mounted electric pump that is dedicated set up for a carburetor and can not be used for an EFI system so I feel it would be a waste of money if EFI is in his near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor