Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
At some point natural selection will take over. Meaning, when EV's are practical from an operational, cost and sustainability standpoint, then they will naturally become a viable option for some, most or everyone. Until then, this is a show of the ignoramuses AFAIC. Let Cadillac, Dodge, whomever, go down this path.

I hate to sound ignorant, but EV's won't take over in my life time only because there are too many people like me (and alot of 'yous') that aren't giving up on ICE powered vehicles quite yet. Performance oriented folks aren't giving into an EV anytime soon. I know the argument - EV's are already faster than most other production cars. The big 'but' in that argument though is the price tag. Show me an EV that runs 10's for under $10K. For that matter find one that runs 10's for less than $50K. Now find on that runs 8's for less than $15k.

I'm confident that racers, hotrodders, etc. won't be hotrodding EV's on a budget for 20+ years. By that time it will be evident that we don't have the electric grid to support them in mass production.

Of course I could be wrong, as I sometimes am. But, while I'm waiting for end of the ICE age to occur, I'm stock piling LS's - and I'd gladly stockpile the new Hemi's if they were worth a sh*t at 200K miles and available for $250. The best thing Dodge can do is eliminate ICE - sounds sensible in FREAKIN' BIZARRO WORLD!!

Reactions: 2 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
At some point natural selection will take over. Meaning, when EV's are practical from an operational, cost and sustainability standpoint, then they will naturally become a viable option for some, most or everyone. Until then, this is a show of the ignoramuses AFAIC. Let Cadillac, Dodge, whomever, go down this path.
That is the biggest thing, the technology for this isn't here, yet. Right now the EV crap isn't feasable.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
There were those that refused to let the horse and buggy die, then they died, then there was the flathead, and those diehards that deplored the valve in head designs. And so on and so on. It's like that commercial where dad refuses to get rid of his roof antenna!

Wake up, it's 2022 not 1980!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
There were those that refused to let the horse and buggy die, then they died, then there was the flathead, and those diehards that deplored the valve in head designs. And so on and so on. It's like that commercial where dad refuses to get rid of his roof antenna!

Wake up, it's 2022 not 1980!
And yet, all of those things are STILL in use to varying degrees for varying reasons. Go in rural areas... we NEED aerial antennas to get reception. Plenty of towns, including where I grew up, don't even have DSL yet in 2022 let alone cable, assuming you don't want to cut the cord so to speak. And plenty of places use horses to get around the land, and of course there's the amish... I'll put an orange triangle in back of my ICE if it means we keep making new ones to use.

One convenient fact people tend to ignore: do tell, what you do think should be done with the unsold gasoline/kerosene/etc lets call it fuel that will continue to be produced as part of the cracking process?

Fossil fuels make up, in part, almost everything used in your lives - plastics, synthetic fiber clothing, various packaging, insulation, building materials... currently, when they crack the crude a portion is used for gasoline and a portion goes into chemicals used to make all sorts of stuff.

Except you can't say, hey, we just won't make the fuel so we'll consume less raw crude. Doesn't work like that. When you crack the crude you get proportional amounts of different stuff, fuel being some of it.

Do you think you're going to transport it back to the oil fields and pump volatile fuel back into the ground? Nobody talks.about that part.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, I saw this. I would bet the Camaro is next with it's dismal sales. The Mustang 5L is holding on for a little while longer, I might consider one. Unfortunately, I am out Dodge. I was hoping the next gen would have the the Inline 6 and AWD. If it looked right, I would be in. They will sell like sh*t here, our infrastructure can't handle it and many long trips by people here. My Wife has been going to Saskatoon monthly. I am betting with the A/C on or the Heater on there range goes down dramatically. Will they make the 650 km trip? The 500 mile range has to be real world. Travelling across Canada would mean everywhere would need capacity to quick charge these cars or the trip would be ridiculously long. If these new electric vehicles don't measure up, heck even if they do, it will drive up the used combustion vehicles like the chip shortages did. Of course if $2 a liter becomes the new norm, it makes them more attractive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
One convenient fact people tend to ignore: do tell, what you do think should be done with the unsold gasoline/kerosene/etc lets call it fuel that will continue to be produced as part of the cracking process?
Sell it to other countries that aren't as stupid as the U.S. to put the cart before the horse?

NOBODY really looks at the potential consequences of any actions concerning the conservation of whatever it is they want to "save". Save the planet...but they never tell you for what. I think it just needs a good surface cleaning, IMHO. Believe me, there are lots of countries/governements around the globe that can't afford to waste borrowed money on pie in the sky. They could give 3 f**ks about EV's or burning coal, or pollution, whatever. They're thinking about survival instead of cancelling someone or freaking out about someone throwing a McDonald's plastic straw down on the beach.

So while 5% of the populations want to throw a grunch of money at "climate change", there's the rest of the world where some are still p*ssing and sh*tting in the streets and not worried about cow farts because ain't nobody got time for that. It's funny you don't see a ton of climate change protesters in Mumbai, India or Chongquing, China for some reason, in which those 2 cities alone have about 16% the population of the entire U.S. (illegal aliens notwithstanding). Oh, yeah, in China you can't protest, at least not for long. Sure, India is somewhat committed to some climate change, but doesn't say it's going all green by 2030. I believe their promise was net zero emissions by 2070. That's pretty good I guess. Kick that can down the road some more. Slow and methodical, not blind and stupid. But if you believe the activists, we've been down to being extinct in 7 years (for what, the 12th year now?), not 50. Someone will be wrong. But then they climb back on their fuel-powered private jets and go somewhere else to tell you that you shouldn't burn fuel. Color me confused on that.

You want electric cars everywhere? Great. Now, they're going to make a gazillion of them, but no place to sell them (BTW, The automakers just announced they are raising the price of their EV's proportionate amount to the Green New mini-Deal law's hard-to-qualify-for tax break. Hmmm. Good going, Washington.). There were a few reports of 70% of EVs being sold didn't qualify for the tax breaks anyway. No place to charge them. The grid can't handle what's on it now, let alone a grunch of new EV's charging up. There will be some severe battery fires that are extremely difficult to put out with current methods. Maybe it will spur better fire-fighting materials/procedures. Who knows? I don't see anyone worried about that.

No place to charge them efficiently and quickly when needed. This is a high hurdle. Charging batteries fast produces higher levels of energy conversion to heat. Which goes back to the previous mention about fires. There are some parking garages that won't even accept EV's inside. And then, after the batteries are all used up, what you going to do, throw them away? Recycle them? There will be residue with these battery packs that will become a big problem on the back end if millions of EVs flood the roads. Plus, people already complain about having to shell out over 100 bucks for a half-azz battery for their ICE cars, let alone the replacement cost of an EV battery pack, eventually. I believe EV's aren't going to be the final answer, really. I guess when I start seeing EV Aramco vehicles in Saudi Arabia (that would be most ironic), maybe then I'll believe there's a real "demand" by the public for EVs and not being pushed for profit. I'll bet odds that there are plenty of gov't officials (and maybe their husbands) that are investing in EV stuff now, so it's the government's job to make sure they get funded so the company's value rises.

Hydrogen, which comes with its own issues, or maybe some form of it, will likely be the end game if I were going to bet my dollar. There are prototypes out there with hydrogen "pellets" or "pucks" which dramatically reduces the hazards of hydrogen storage on board, and can be stored virtually anywhere in the car. A refill of the "tank" simply consists of replacing the pellet packs or whatever it is. But that's not a major deal because you can get many more "mpg" as it were from hydrogen cars than gasoline. The biggest drawback of course, is the high cost of hydrogen production. And the carbon dioxide production during the process. CO2 is one of the "pollutants" that needs to be dealt with. Again, costly to do that at the moment.

I still think that natural selection should rule the day. An "all of the above" approach instead of "this or else".

I suppose I should feel lucky. By the time they get this figured out, if they ever get it figured out, I'll be dead.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You guys really still think the EV push is about "climate change"? That's adorable.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor