Electric power steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I learned something new. Yesterday the Wifey called me on her phone and said her '05 Cobalt had no power steering. The dash display showed "POWER STEERING". I told her to shut it off and I'll check it out later. Today I did and the engine started as always and the power steering worked. Huh? So I checked the FSM and it said that if the EPS computer doesn't see the voltage it wants, it shuts down. The electric PS uses a 60 amp fuse so I guess it is a power hungry component. I am thinking that since the car has mostly sat for three weeks with the schools closed, the battery ran down. The fact she sat in the car with the engine running yesterday may have given it just enough juice to satisfy the EPS computer. There were no codes stored, nor any pending. That was relief because almost every EPS code ends in "replace steering column". So I have the battery charging all day and I will see what happens.

Reactions: 1 users

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Common behaviour with modern cars nowadays. When the voltage drops, i.e. bad battery or bad alternator they begin shutting down electronic systems like ABS, PS, ESP etc.
The 6.0 Powerstroke diesel Ford even kills his ECU when the batteries are bad at startup and the voltage cannot reach 48V inside the ECU.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Guys have been taking the important part out and installing them on other cars to give them power steering. If you dig around the 'net you can see how to do it.

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Are you saying that the electrics can be retrofitted to a regular steering column? Or the whole thing needs to be swapped?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That is awesome! Thanks for those links. It looks like this would work best with formerly manual steering. I remember trying to convert my Sunfire to manual but nothing was available.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So I charged it up for two days. Works fine.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor