Electric Vacuum Pump Install - Brakes Work Again

CdnCutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I thought I would post this in the event it can help someone else with the same problem. Before modifying my car years ago I replaced all the stock brake components. The car then received a 400 sbc which only produces 10-11 inches of vacuum at idle. The brakes were horrible so I added a Summit Racing vacuum can a few years ago which helped a bit. The pedal was still hard and the car was difficult to slow down so this year I decided to add an electric vacuum pump, a CVR VP655. While not inexpensive I am happy with the results.

I ended up using a piece of steel cut to the size I wanted and mounted the pump to it, then secured it to the inner fender beside the charcoal can. The brakes are much better now and the car will actually lock the front wheels. It seems like a better baseline for future upgrades. The pump can only be heard when you key the ignition but not with the engine running. I think the brakes are getting better as I drive, I don’t think there was enough pressure before to even bed them in properly.

Attachments

• C4C03397-852F-4A2B-A54D-44F5AC6BCA9D.jpeg
    C4C03397-852F-4A2B-A54D-44F5AC6BCA9D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 74
  • B1F3CC13-4A4A-45C3-A6A3-6298E88D474B.jpeg
    B1F3CC13-4A4A-45C3-A6A3-6298E88D474B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • AF35B135-C964-4B1D-9689-DF496B8DAC6F.jpeg
    AF35B135-C964-4B1D-9689-DF496B8DAC6F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 79
  • 4B8FF790-06A3-4B3A-A29E-DE142ADF07B0.jpeg
    4B8FF790-06A3-4B3A-A29E-DE142ADF07B0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 76
Reactions: 1 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
When you think about it, vacuum pressure for operating the brake booster is a MUST HAVE and definitely not NICE TO HAVE!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Have you tested this other than driving?

If you empty your reservoir and booster (no vacuum in the system), then how long does it take to make 20” of vacuum?

From the looks of your system with the reservoir, this should work great.

CdnCutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
When you think about it, vacuum pressure for operating the brake booster is a MUST HAVE and definitely not NICE TO HAVE!
You are absolutely correct, I don’t know why I waited so long to resolve this issue. It should have been much higher on the priority list.
Have you tested this other than driving?

If you empty your reservoir and booster (no vacuum in the system), then how long does it take to make 20” of vacuum?

From the looks of your system with the reservoir, this should work great.
It takes a couple of seconds to hit 20” of vacuum when you key the ignition after it has been sitting for a while, then once there is pressure the pump kicks on briefly after you hit the brakes a couple of times while driving.

Reactions: 1 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Here's an article that I've used to solve my vacuum pressure issue, specifically for brake booster. Instead of using an inline pressure switch between the vacuum pump and canister, I opted for and wired in an electric pressure switch that mounts onto the canister. The switch interrupts the ground for the pump when canister pressure reaches 18-20 psi and completes the circuit again when the pressure falls below 16 psi. The pump starts (begins making noise) when the ignition key is turned ON.

Reactions: 1 user

CdnCutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Here's an article that I've used to solve my vacuum pressure issue, specifically for brake booster. Instead of using an inline pressure switch between the vacuum pump and canister, I opted for and wired in an electric pressure switch that mounts onto the canister. The switch interrupts the ground for the pump when canister pressure reaches 18-20 psi and completes the circuit again when the pressure falls below 16 psi. The pump starts (begins making noise) when the ignition key is turned ON.

This looks like a great setup as well.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am just going to throw this out there as another option, I have a junkyard belt driven vacuum pump off a Ford F350 from the 90's.
I have had this on my Monte for 25+ years and modified it to run off my power steering pulley.
This does not require a vacuum source and self regulates itself at 28 lbs of vacuum and it pulls it so fast there is never any lack of vacuum under any braking conditions.
IMG_1316.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

lucky 1985

Apprentice
May 5, 2016
I thought I would post this in the event it can help someone else with the same problem. Before modifying my car years ago I replaced all the stock brake components. The car then received a 400 sbc which only produces 10-11 inches of vacuum at idle. The brakes were horrible so I added a Summit Racing vacuum can a few years ago which helped a bit. The pedal was still hard and the car was difficult to slow down so this year I decided to add an electric vacuum pump, a CVR VP655. While not inexpensive I am happy with the results.

I ended up using a piece of steel cut to the size I wanted and mounted the pump to it, then secured it to the inner fender beside the charcoal can. The brakes are much better now and the car will actually lock the front wheels. It seems like a better baseline for future upgrades. The pump can only be heard when you key the ignition but not with the engine running. I think the brakes are getting better as I drive, I don’t think there was enough pressure before to even bed them in properly.
Thanks for posting this solution. I also installed a vacuum reserve tank only, and although it improved my braking a lot, it still isn't enough, especially as I come to a complete stop. I think I'll need a vacuum pump too.

From your pics, it looks like you plumbed the vacuum hose from the pump to the check valve on the tank, then from the tee fitting on the tank to the check valve on the booster, without a pressure switch anywhere. Do I have that right?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I am just going to throw this out there as another option, I have a junkyard belt driven vacuum pump off a Ford F350 from the 90's.
I have had this on my Monte for 25+ years and modified it to run off my power steering pulley.
This does not require a vacuum source and self regulates itself at 28 lbs of vacuum and it pulls it so fast there is never any lack of vacuum under any braking conditions.
View attachment 220201
Do you use that only for the brakes and not for crankcase fumes evacuation?

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Lucky, CdnCutlass' system has a pressure switch. It is visible in the second photo connected to the T-fitting that exits the canister/reserve tank.

Based on the article I posted above, I recently installed an electric vacuum pump in my 87 EC. Initially, I opted for an inline vacuum pressure switch because that was cheaper (less than $30 from Amazon). After receiving the parts from Summit which included a tank and thinking about where/how to install the system, I decided the electric pressure switch from Summit was a better option as it would take up less space. The addition of the vacuum pump system made a huge difference in braking action. The pump noise is hardly noticeable.

For those of you considering this option, do it! There is nothing more important than having dependable brakes!

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor