Electrical - Fuel Gage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank_C

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2020
I have a 1984 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham, 231CU V6. Yesterday I was changing bulbs from my instrument cluster and after connecting everything back up, during my testing of the headlight switch, my fuel gage went from full to empty. When I turn off the lights, it returns to the full position. Any suggestions on what is wrong here would be helpful. Thanks.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You pinched something, and now the lights are pulling ground through the fuel sender. Take it back apart, inspect, and reassemble more carefully this time.

Reactions: 1 users

Frank_C

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2020
Will do, really enjoy pulling the cluster, not.

Reactions: 1 user

Frank_C

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2020
Ok, figured that out. Now, next strange thing. When I turn the parking lights on, the right turn signal comes on and when I turn the right signal on, its not as bright as the left turn signal when its on. Any thoughts? Since the back of the cluster only has the plastic copper foil with the screw in bulbs, not sure what the issue is.

Frank_C

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2020
Ok, figured that out. Now, next strange thing. When I turn the parking lights on, the right turn signal comes on and when I turn the right signal on, its not as bright as the left turn signal when its on. Any thoughts? Since the back of the cluster has the plastic copper foil
One of the right side 1157s is burned out
All lights appear to be working, both with the parking lights turned on and right turn signal engaged. Not sure the 1157s is burned out.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
It may be as simple as a bad bulb. If that's not it I suspect a bad ground, bad ground is the first culprit of erratic electrical problems. I pulled my dash cluster apart last weekend and hated every moment of it. My fuel gauge wasn't working.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Do you mean one of the bulb sockets for the 1157s bulb is bad?
It could be the socket itself, but more likely it's the circuit involving the socket.

If one is dimmer than the other, I would check your grounds like everyone has suggested here, and make sure your wiring is ok.

Another thing I recommend is inspecting the traces and the brass contacts on the PCB and black connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor