Electrical head scratcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Have you checked the light bulbs for your turn signals and brakes, I'm wondering if a bulb has gone bad and is feeding the other circuit when turned on

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Turn on the parking lights and look for a dim one. If you have that ground the bulb and see what happens. I am thinking a bad socket

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I had actually gone over all the bulbs, sockets and grounds. Most were blown or missing but I replaced just about all of them, and they all burn brightly. My gut also says bad ground and in the past I have run a dedicated ground where I suspected problems. The ground strap I replaced yesterday is referred to on the wiring schematic as a "redundant" ground but I can't find any of the regular braided grounds. But the redundant should cover it. The horn doesn't work and when I removed the steering wheel cover I don't even see the wire or plastic connector that should be poking out. One signal canceller is bad so I will be pulling the wheel anyway for a look see.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Check to make sure you have 2 filament bulbs and not a one filament. If on the canceler the spring is broke you can just replace that. If you cannot find any I have some spares

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, 1157's all around and 1156's where needed. I have a whole box of the springs. It seemed like every car I owned had broken cancelers and I even bought the correct tools to pop the steering wheel off and remove the locking disc properly.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I tore into the steering column today because the horn did not work. Everything for the horn was missing or broken. I traced from the relay (which was good) to the horn and the horn blew when I grounded the relay. Then I traced the wires to the steering wheel and they were good too. So I scrounged some of the horn parts like the contact and spring that sits in the cancel mechanism. Grounding that blew the horn too. None of this affected the dash gauges like the wipers did. While I had my head up under the dash I could not find any broken wires or missing grounds. Then I started the motor to watch the gauges and they worked fine. I tried the wipers and the gauges went crazy every time the delay wiper operated. I turned on the lights and they went a little less crazy than with the wipers on. I turned the dimmer all the way off and the craziness stopped. Then I turned the dimmer the other way so the dome light lit. The gauges bounced and the dome light was dim. But shutting off the lights and opening the door the dome and courtesy lights shined brightly without affecting the gauges. It could be the headlight switch but that doesn't explain the wipers. Onward- ever onward.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
SOLVED! So today I tore into the dash taking everything out and testing the grounds. I got continuity on all but high resistance. And while under there I bumped against the dash and was surprised how much it moved. AHA! There are two big bolts that hold the dash at each end to steel body supports. One was there and one was missing. I put a bolt in- tightened it down- and the resistance dropped to zero! So the bolts hold the dash tight against the steel body supports and provide the ground for everything in the dash. Now everything works perfectly. All you guys that suspected grounds were right on the money. I just didn't expect the whole dang dash to be poorly grounded because some idiot didn't replace a stinking bolt. :wtf:

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I was going to suggest that you look at the wiring for the windshield washer to make sure the wires were not reversed....:mrgreen:

glad it is fixed....:)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
When electrical stuff acts crazy, a poor ground is like Micky Mouse' s reason on getting a divorce from Minnie is because she's f***ing Goofy
Glad you found the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor