Electrical head-scratcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a 1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula. The power door locks were dead. Key fob dead too but it opened the hatch. Trying the door switches and fob just got clicking. Fooling with the wires blew the fuse. I took the driver door apart and when I hooked battery power to the door lock actuator, it worked. Hmmmm. Traced wires, jumped wires, the switches tested good, but still just clicking. I decided to bypass the remote receiver and re-wire as if just non-remote power door locks. Blew the 15 amp fuse again and only had a 20 amp so I popped that in. Suddenly, everything worked! Door buttons, key fob, everything worked just fine. HUH? Put a 15 amp fuse in and they still worked. Like nothing was ever wrong. Could the 20 amp fuse have given the remote receiver an electrical goose-ing? I can't explain it.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I have a 1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula. The power door locks were dead. Key fob dead too but it opened the hatch. Trying the door switches and fob just got clicking. Fooling with the wires blew the fuse. I took the driver door apart and when I hooked battery power to the door lock actuator, it worked. Hmmmm. Traced wires, jumped wires, the switches tested good, but still just clicking. I decided to bypass the remote receiver and re-wire as if just non-remote power door locks. Blew the 15 amp fuse again and only had a 20 amp so I popped that in. Suddenly, everything worked! Door buttons, key fob, everything worked just fine. HUH? Put a 15 amp fuse in and they still worked. Like nothing was ever wrong. Could the 20 amp fuse have given the remote receiver an electrical goose-ing? I can't explain it.
As some things age, they may create more resistance or output amperage higher than rated due to old parts becoming more electrically unstable, whether its wiring, a capacitor etc.

This is when sometimes putting in a higher fuse helps. However it’s only going to get you so far, eventually that fuse will go as well and you will have no choice but to replace or repair the remote system there, because you can’t keep going up fuse ratings- safely that is.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
you can’t keep going up fuse ratings- safely that is.
Yes, that was a concern. That is why I put the 15 amp fuse back in. It works, but not as well as with the 20 amp fuse. I think it just needs exercise. It has been dormant for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor