ELECTRICAL ISSUE, PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

farteaga92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2014
WELL I BOUGHT THIS 1987 CUTLASS 442 THA WAS STORED FOR A LONG TIME. WHEN I PUT A NEW BATTERY IN IT I HEARD A SCREECHING NOISE FROM PASSENGER SIDE ND FIGURED IT WAS THE BLOWER MOTOR ALTHOUGH THE CLIMATE CONTROL SWITCH WAS OFF. SO THE BLOWER MOTOR RUNS ANYTIME THE IGNITION IS TURNED. SO I TOOK THE RADIO AND CLIAMTE CONTROL OUT TO INVESTIGATE AND FOUND THAT SOMEBODY HAS CONNECTED A WIRE FROM THE FUSE PANEL AND TAPPED INTO THE BROWN/WHITE STRIPE WIRE OF THE FAN CONTROL SWITCH SO THA THE FAN WILL RUN WITHT HE IGNTION EVEN IF THE HEATER IS OFF. IM GUESSING THE FAN DIDNT WORK OR WASNT GETTING POWER SO THEY JUST TAPPED A 12V SOURCE AND PUT IT TO THE FAN WIRE. ANYBODY KNOW WHY THIS COULD HAVE HAPPEND? I KNO THE FAN WORKS BECAUSE I UNPLUGGED THE WIRE THEY HAD ONNECTED TO A FUSE AND THE FAN DOESNT WORK. IT SEEMS LIKE THE BROWN/WHITE STRIPED WIRE IS NOT GETTING POWER AND SEEMS TO BE LIKE A REMOTE TURN ON WIRE FOR THE FAN. ANY HELP PLEASE ?

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
IIRC, the fans do run on low at all times when ignition is on. I think GM did this when the took away our vent windows. Not sure I can give you a specific answer, as I don't have the wiring diagrams for your year. For most G-bodies, there is a brown wire that runs from the fuse box to a connector behind the Heater Control panel. It is a single wire, with a white connector (IIRC). This wire powers the HVAC controls, and the fan on Low and Med speeds. Don't know what your PO did, but maybe the fuse / power wire was no longer functioning, and this was his solution.

farteaga92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2014
ok well here you see the brown/white wire from the fan speed switch that has the baby blue wire soldered onto it. the baby blue wire ran directly to the ignition fuse for power. when i unplugged the baby blue wire the fan would shut complete off on all speeds. when connected all fan speeds worked even when the control switch is off. I'm guessing the brown wire is like a remote wire for the climate control. when the switch is moved to heater or bi-level the grown/white wire gives the fan power.

Attachments

• IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    622.7 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    532.5 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    676.3 KB · Views: 547

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
OK, the Brn/Wht line in your car is the same as the brown one in mine. If you follow that one back under the dash, you should find a connector- most likely not plugged in. The mating side of that connector leads back directly to the fuse box for the A/C fuse / Htr fuse. No telling what may have been the problem causing this work-around. It might be as simple as the guy didn't know where the connector was located ( or that there was one- it's pretty obscure). There may be a problem ( short) in the stock feed line. If you can't track down a simple explanation, and as long as that new line is fused, you should be OK to run with it as is.

farteaga92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2014
iv heard of people saying something about a wire to the starter has something to do with the blower motor so i started looking at the starter and seen some funny shhh going on like afermarket wire connectors so i disconnected that and now i have no interior lights or exterior lights. idk whats going on. i guess I'm going to have to go through all the electrical wiring so i can get it all working with out having to have it rigged. =(

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
farteaga92 said:
iv heard of people saying something about a wire to the starter has something to do with the blower motor so i started looking at the starter and seen some funny shhh going on like afermarket wire connectors so i disconnected that and now i have no interior lights or exterior lights. idk whats going on. i guess I'm going to have to go through all the electrical wiring so i can get it all working with out having to have it rigged. =(

I'm not quite sure what you mean but instead of guessing darbysan gave you a great detailed suggestion so why not try that first...

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Hello all, In my '88 CSC, that wire died on me and I took the dash apart to track that brn/wht wire. The factory connector melted and the metal to metal contact was lost some how. I'm pretty sure that is what happened to your wire.
I fixed mine by splicing a solder less connector there and extended new wire to the fan control with a new male/ female connectors. Thus, eliminating the factory connector. I made the new wire long enough to give me room to pull the A/C head unit out and disconnect the new plugs.
I hope this helps.
T

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
farteaga92 said:
The lights and blower motor feed from the fusible link(s) that come up from the starter. Those need to be in there, if they are missing go get some and put them in, you can put them in with butt splices, but soldering is the better method. Once these are fixed check the wire connector that has been suggested in the other reply, hopefully that will get you going.

farteaga92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2014
I GOT THE LGHTS WORKING. IT HAPPEN TO BE A BUNCH OF BLOWN FUSES AND A RED WIRE THAT WAS DISCONNECTED TO THE STARTED. AS FAR AS MY BLOWER MOTOR I REMOVED THE RADIO AND THE CLIMATE CONTROL PANEL AND IT WAS A LOOSE CONNECTOR NOT MAKING CONTACT. I REMOVED THE RIGGED SOLDER WIRE AND ALL IS FINE AND FUNCTIONING NORMALLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor