Electrical issues, 1988 Monte Carlo SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorK

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2014
Lensvik, Norway
Hi, Norway calling!
I found your site interesting, hoping to get some advice :)
I have two electrical problems with my SS.
1. "Something" is drawing approx. 4,5 amps from my battery when everything is switced off... I have tested each fused circuit with a multimeter, all shows 0 amps. Are there any circuits that is not fused in the "fuse box"? I have tried to disconnect the alternator, it was OK..
2. My tank gauge is showing 1,5 tanks with gasoline, all the time. I changed the instrument in the dash, did not help. Next step is the sending unit in the tank. Anybody familiar with this problem, and solutions??

Tor

Did you sort this out yet? Did you check glove box light and trunk light? Not sure if those go through dome light fuse or not.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
TorK said:
Hi, Norway calling!
I found your site interesting, hoping to get some advice :)
I have two electrical problems with my SS.
1. "Something" is drawing approx. 4,5 amps from my battery when everything is switced off... I have tested each fused circuit with a multimeter, all shows 0 amps. Are there any circuits that is not fused in the "fuse box"? I have tried to disconnect the alternator, it was OK..
2. My tank gauge is showing 1,5 tanks with gasoline, all the time. I changed the instrument in the dash, did not help. Next step is the sending unit in the tank. Anybody familiar with this problem, and solutions??

Tor

Alternator is bad, the diode shorted out.
Replace the alt and your issue will go away.

Usually a bad ground is to blame for gauges acting funny.
Check the ground from the tank sending unit to the body for corrosion.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
My suggestion is the same as 88hurstolds, start with the alternator.
If that isn't it,(and it pmore than likely is) Id double check all grounds, connections, and both battery cables.
Make sure all your lights are turning off too (as stated) like the trunk, glovebox, under hood, etc,,,
And maybe try disconnecting the cigarette lighter.
Good luck and let us know if anything changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor