Electrical issues in 87 El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meanbeagle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 16, 2021
1987 El Camino with 305. Thursday it seemed to have a dead battery. When I went hook up the jumper cables the negative side bolt fell out of the battery. The ground cable had been a little tight so maybe overtime it just pulled out of the lead. I replaced the battery and and the ground cable with a new and longer one. The car cranked right up, no problem. The problem is the radio has no power and the fan motor wont turn on. The dash lights, windows everything else works.
The radio fuse is good. Is there an inline fuse or something to check?

All help is appreciated.
Matt

Reactions: 1 user

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
I have a 1981 El Camino SS with s 290 HP 350 crate engine /Turbo 350 trans .It had some of the same issues ,We found out that the power seat wiring wasnt grounding ..So we jus disconnected those since I`m the only who drives it . So I would start tracing wires. It usually something stupid. Good luck to you.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
as always with a Gbody, check your grounds. as for fuses, how did you check them? eyeball or continuity meter?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
1987 El Camino with 305. Thursday it seemed to have a dead battery. When I went hook up the jumper cables the negative side bolt fell out of the battery. The ground cable had been a little tight so maybe overtime it just pulled out of the lead. I replaced the battery and and the ground cable with a new and longer one. The car cranked right up, no problem. The problem is the radio has no power and the fan motor wont turn on. The dash lights, windows everything else works.
The radio fuse is good. Is there an inline fuse or something to check?

All help is appreciated.
Matt
There would not be an inline fuse like the one you are thinking of. A link that might have burned up? Perhaps.

I would replace the higher amp fuses first.

My concern, also however is why the battery was drained in the first place. You might have a draw.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I've seen this a lot and it's common on a lot of the newer batteries being produced.

The original batteries came with threaded holes, a lot of the current batteries don't.

When the lead is cast, it is only cast with some bumps that catch the thread of the bolt and this allows for the bolt to cut its own threads.

The problem with this is quality control isn't what it used to be and even with a new battery is very easy to over torque the bolt and now you have a poor connection.

Most your do-it-yourselfers and many new mechanics don't understand this so they just keep tightening the bolt and when you do that any of the threads that you cut actually get pulled out.

I'm not saying that's what happened in your case but with the negative cable being loose the battery will not properly recharge as you drive the car. So it's possible you have enough juice to start the car you drive it for a while come out a little bit later or the next morning and the car won't start.

This is because with a negative cable being so loose the battery didn't recharge. So basically what you did as you were driving, is you were running completely off of the battery just the same as having a bad alternator. The HEI system doesn't need a lot of amperage and the ECU only needs 10 volts so as long as it's getting that, the car will run, plus your alternator is working so it never trips the warning light.

Yet, the minute it doesn't keep running, the car will quit and as you find out, it also won't restart. And all of that is due to just a bad ground because ground cables lose.

A dirty shop will sell you a new alternator and battery, and you be none the wiser.

If you find this problem in the future all you have to do is just Helicoil insert into the battery which is 3/8 x 16 NC thread.

On the cable being too tight this should not be an issue because even on a normal car the engine moves as you drive it which means the cable has to have a certain amount of slack in it. If it doesn't like in the case where the cable barely reaches the battery it will pull the cable out of the battery.

On the other issues check fuses and grounds, your dealing with old wires, things get loose and corroded.

On the fan issue everything works on the ground side. This is counterintuitive but the switch grounds the circuit for the fan. So when the fan is on low the voltage goes through a high ohm rated resistor wire that needs air flow to keep it cool otherwise it will burn out. This is all found in a resistor block that is mounted right next to where the fan motor is mounted. When the fan is running on high the fan motor is fully grounded and this allows the fan to run at high speed. So once the other things are checked check your resistor block. If those coiled resistor wires are burnt or broken then check your fan motor because that means your fan motor is starting to go out.

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
I agree with 78Delta88 about the battery not charging and about the fix. But sometimes the 3/8x16 bolt is too short or too worn out. I took a longer bolt and cut off the head so it was all threads about 1 inch long. Then I hacksawed a slot into one end and tightened it permanently into the battery lead. I cleaned the cable ends and used 2 nuts to hold it all together, one to tighten and one as a lock nut. On another battery I had tried the helicoil but the short hole depth stopped the tap from making threads. Currently I am driving with a positive bolt mod as described.

The other problems could be coincidences, and I will tell you why: there is no mechanism to prevent the coincidences, so they can happen, even if the timing seems unusual. So fix the battery, turn the page, and start fresh on all the other problems.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I did the same with my van. I picked up two of the short 3/8 studs from Ace Hardware and hooked up the cables that way.

Meanbeagle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 16, 2021
I've seen this a lot and it's common on a lot of the newer batteries being produced.

The original batteries came with threaded holes, a lot of the current batteries don't.

When the lead is cast, it is only cast with some bumps that catch the thread of the bolt and this allows for the bolt to cut its own threads.

The problem with this is quality control isn't what it used to be and even with a new battery is very easy to over torque the bolt and now you have a poor connection.

Most your do-it-yourselfers and many new mechanics don't understand this so they just keep tightening the bolt and when you do that any of the threads that you cut actually get pulled out.

I'm not saying that's what happened in your case but with the negative cable being loose the battery will not properly recharge as you drive the car. So it's possible you have enough juice to start the car you drive it for a while come out a little bit later or the next morning and the car won't start.

This is because with a negative cable being so loose the battery didn't recharge. So basically what you did as you were driving, is you were running completely off of the battery just the same as having a bad alternator. The HEI system doesn't need a lot of amperage and the ECU only needs 10 volts so as long as it's getting that, the car will run, plus your alternator is working so it never trips the warning light.

Yet, the minute it doesn't keep running, the car will quit and as you find out, it also won't restart. And all of that is due to just a bad ground because ground cables lose.

A dirty shop will sell you a new alternator and battery, and you be none the wiser.

If you find this problem in the future all you have to do is just Helicoil insert into the battery which is 3/8 x 16 NC thread.

On the cable being too tight this should not be an issue because even on a normal car the engine moves as you drive it which means the cable has to have a certain amount of slack in it. If it doesn't like in the case where the cable barely reaches the battery it will pull the cable out of the battery.

On the other issues check fuses and grounds, your dealing with old wires, things get loose and corroded.

On the fan issue everything works on the ground side. This is counterintuitive but the switch grounds the circuit for the fan. So when the fan is on low the voltage goes through a high ohm rated resistor wire that needs air flow to keep it cool otherwise it will burn out. This is all found in a resistor block that is mounted right next to where the fan motor is mounted. When the fan is running on high the fan motor is fully grounded and this allows the fan to run at high speed. So once the other things are checked check your resistor block. If those coiled resistor wires are burnt or broken then check your fan motor because that means your fan motor is starting to go out.
I replaced the battery, (damn they have gotten expensive) The nut didn't just pull out but looked really worked over. My son tried to jump it so that could have caused the extra damage.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I agree with 78Delta88 about the battery not charging and about the fix. But sometimes the 3/8x16 bolt is too short or too worn out. I took a longer bolt and cut off the head so it was all threads about 1 inch long. Then I hacksawed a slot into one end and tightened it permanently into the battery lead.
I've seen this a lot with side post. the stupid bolts are too short and barely turn-in for 2 full twists. and the long bolts are usually too long so you have to insert spacers to take up the slack

I just eyeballed it.
which mean it could look good and in reality be bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor