Electrical Problem? Car running too rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikapha

n00b
Jan 4, 2015
I had my 1984 Hurst Olds attempted to be stolen awhile back and although repairs have been made I am still having residual problems. The car's steering column was smashed in an attempt to hot wire the car but the alarm system that cuts the volts from 12 to 6 stopped that. The thieves abandoned the car without any further damage.
The column has been replaced and the everything looked fine. After a fine weeks, a smell of wire insulation burning was noticeable and then a wisp of white smoke came from the lock cylinder in the steering column that was replaced.
The smell and smoke went away but now the car seems to running too rich as sparks plugs are continuing to foul out after only a few miles and the engine sputters at take off and low speeds. The electric choke was the first placed I looked and, except for the choke appearing to been stuck in the open position, all seemed fine. I even unplugged the wire from the electric choke. The fuses were check and everything was good there. The ignition coil was then replaced. All of this didn't seem to help.
I believe a wire has been pinch or scraped somewhere when the replacement column when it was put in. Before I pull the column to check this theory, I wanted to know if this was a good idea and ,if it is, what should I be looking for as far as replacing a part or which wire (knowing the wire color would help?) I would need to search for that would cause this to happen.
Any ideas or suggestions would really help and be appreciated.
Thank you.

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
I wouldn't take any chances.
If that column was repaired by a professional shop, get it back to them ASAP.
If you had a burning smell and smoke coming out of the column and no blown fuses, you could be at risk for a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor