Electrical problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
I bought my 84' Monte Carlo ss about 2 weeks ago. Everything electrical pretty much worked when i bought it and might have lasted for a week. I dont know what i did but for some reason my interior light doesn't work and the sterio wont turn on. Fuses are all okay and im really not big on electrical, Anyone have a clue of what to check out or look for? :blam:

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
BlownSmoke said:
I bought my 84' Monte Carlo ss about 2 weeks ago. Everything electrical pretty much worked when i bought it and might have lasted for a week. I dont know what i did but for some reason my interior light doesn't work and the sterio wont turn on. Fuses are all okay and im really not big on electrical, Anyone have a clue of what to check out or look for? :blam:
the fuses you checked did you look at it to see if it was good or did you use a meter ...some times they look fine but are blown still just use a meter, check also to make sure u have 12v at one of the terminals that you put he fuse in

mhamilton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2008
North Carolina
Easy way to check the interior light fuse, see if the horn works. If it does, then check your light bulb and door switches (press it a few times and see if the light will come on).

The OE radio wasn't on the same fuse as the lights, but an aftermarket model may have been wired to this circuit for constant-on power. I would see what the light does 1st.

BlownSmoke

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2009
Yeah i forgot to mention my horn also didnt work. All combined is the horn, interior light and an aftermarket radio... They all went out at once so they have to be connected with each other.

scooba1324

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2009
check your cig lighter there is a ornge wire that is hot it runs your cig radio interior light under hood light trunk light

mhamilton

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2008
North Carolina
If all that and the cigar lighter are not working, it's the 20A clock/courtesy circuit (bottom row, center)

Check the radio wiring carefully, that circuit was not designed to run a high power head unit. The courtesy circuit is already pretty heavily loaded, and the stock radio had its own 10A circuit (ignition switched). Did the radio previously run constantly, even with the key off?

fuse.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor