Electrical question- non G-body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I am fooling my 2000 Jeep Cherokee to use the EXT IDLE feature that came on Police Versions. By grounding a wire from the PCM the idle rises to 1000 rpm in Park and Neutral. I have a Double Pole Single Throw dash mounted rocker switch in use. But the two inputs are connected as one and exit the switch as a red wire. The red wire goes to a hot 12 volts. The two outputs are a white and black wire. The white wire is supposed to send 12 volts to a load like a radio or fan or light bar. The black wire goes to a ground and there is a tiny indicator bulb in the switch wired into the black wire. So when the switch is ON- the white wire enables the load and the black wire enables the indicator light built into the switch. My red wire is the 12 volts from the PCM for the EXT IDLE. But I am using the white wire to go to ground so the PCM sees ground and enables the EXT IDLE. That works fine. What is not working is the indicator light. Test wired on the bench the light works. Is it possible by grounding the white wire I made such a direct ground that the lazy electricity ignores the bulb completely?
1615773182067.png

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My Cousin the Electrical Enginerd got back to me. It seems I created a parallel circuit and the electricity takes the easiest path to ground. So it bypasses the resistance in the bulb and it no worky. He suggested adding a similar load (another bulb) to the wire that is going directly to ground so that the resistance is balanced. Then the bulb should light up. That makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor