electrical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ter'M'Up

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2006
Hey guys, quick question, I recently purchased a rebuild kit for my delco alternator, and when finished seemed free wheelin' and fine, installed drove 10 mins away from home, and smelled something really bad. It was raining, and when I opened the hood, my alternator was so hot water "danced" on it?? I got home to open up the alt again, and the stator was completely black, and burnt (it was buetiful copper colour when installed). when opening a friend and I notice some metal shavings (we had to tap the rear case for the bracket as it was stripped). I replaced with another one, now works fine, but headlights (low beams) do not work??

the "quick" questions would be, is there a seperate fuse in a 86 Monte for low beams (as my high beams work), and could the metal shaving cause a short in alternator, we thought they were blown out, apparently not, but was a small amount.

I'm also checking my haynes manual, but wanted some other possible opinion about the headlights.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
There is a circuit breaker in the light switch for both high and low beams. You either have a bad headlight switch, bad high beam switch, bad wiring or two burned out headlites.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think if it was the ciruit breaker the high beams wouldn't be working. I upgraded my headlights which drew more power than the stock lights and caused the circuit beaker to trip if I had my bright lights on for a while. When the breaker tripped I had no headlights at all but the breaker resets on its own after a few seconds. I installed a relay for each side and that cured the problem.

I'm wondering if the headlights are burnt due to the alternator. Since it was raining I assume the headlights were on when the alternator fried.

gman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2006
Winnipeg
Probably fried the headlights. Same thing happened to me on a 66 car with an external points type regulator. Regulator packed it in and so did the headlights. You have a built in regulator in the alternator but when that goes you get way more than 12V to everything. Surprising only the headlights went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor