Eliminating VVT using stock cam LY6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
i have an LY6 to replace my tired 350. Now I do have a 1000$ quote from Texas speed for a new cam, sprocket, push rods etc etc etc. I have no problem spending that to get the motor where I want it to be but I think I'm going to need to install it sooner than I'll have the means buy that stuff. I was wondering if I could just change the cam gear, get a new timing cover, use the new cam gear to time the cam to were it should be and drop the motor in so that I can drive the car next spring with that motor in it, take care of some things at home and next fall I should be able to make the order from Texas speed and upgrade it.
Has anybody tried or know what cam sprocket I need, will I need a new chain as well? Any info would be appreciated.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Nope, wont work. Your motor has a single bolt for the cam gear, the cam gears to fit the older regular style cams are three bolt. I just had to rebuild the LY6 in my truck and ran into this exact thing. Ended up leaving mine stock. It's just my DD and a 4wd pickup, I wasnt looking for HP

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You can get a single bolt cam gear that is not for VVT. My 08 Sierra LMG 5.3 came stock with one. I would send it to you but I recycled it long ago. I think your plan is doable.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I just did a quick search on eBay and there are a couple of single bolt cam gears out of ls3's. Anybody know if that would work. There's even a pretty cheap cam gear and ls3 cam on there. I wonder if I should take that route for now. Curious if I'll need to change anything like pushrods or any thing else if I try that?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The LS3 cam gear should be the same. Single bolt. 4X. Non-VVT. I think there is only one part number for that style.
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php/834483-LS-Timing-Reluctor-Wheels-Explained
The LS3 cam would be a great upgrade over the truck cam. It's specs are 204/211 .551/.525 on a 117 LSA. You might even decide it is enough cam for you. The pushrods should not be different. It should be a direct swap.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Hmm Pretty excited. I was going to go for a bigger cam but I wont really be racing the car or anything.
Thanks for the input.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hmm Pretty excited. I was going to go for a bigger cam but I wont really be racing the car or anything.
Thanks for the input.
If you decide later it's too tame, you can always put something nastier in there. I would recommend putting in a set of LS6 or LS3 valve springs. The LS3 cam is probably too much for the truck valve springs. The LS6 springs are a direct swap. I've done it.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Do you guys know if theres any difference in the timing covers aside from the 24 to 58 tooth reluctor and the vvt one. The accessories I have I beleive is corvette and Im taking the vvt off. I dont remember which year corvette and I couldnt find it on my ebay account. I mustve bought it to long ago. I can get a truck one really cheap they mightg even give it to me. I just want to know if itll fit or if there are different shallower ones on certain applications?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You'll need an LS3 style timing cover for Corvette Accessories. The LS3 cover has the cam sensor in it and is much shallower than the VVT cover. A non-VVT Gen IV truck cover might work (like off of a Gen IV 5.3). I'm thinking the casting area where the balancer goes in sticks out farther on the trucks but I may be wrong. You need this style...
nal-12633906_xl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor