Emergency Brake Cutting Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.1980

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 27, 2018
East Providence, Rhode Island
Okay so I have probably the oddest automotive related problem I've seen thus far; I have a 1989 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Wagon with a 307 V8 and recently I noticed odd problems with the electrical system. The radio, interior and exterior lights, and windows all got barely enough power at idle. The lights would flicker, the radio would cut in and out, and the windows went up and down like molasses; if I revved up the engine the radio and lights powered up quickly and then would putter out again at idle. So I replaced the battery and installed a brand new AC Delco alternator now here comes the strange part.

At idle everything works perfectly radio, lights, windows etc. as soon as I pull the emergency brake everything electrical cuts out no lights, no radio, nothing the engine still runs perfectly I can shift it into gear and drive the car just nothing electrical works. As soon as I step down and re-activate the emergency brake everything electrical kicks back on I've never seen this before, I don't understand how the emergency brake is related to the overall electrical system.

This car is like the Amityville Horror it does the most unexplained things but somehow runs like a champ; I'm guessing it might be a blown fuse or a relay I haven't delved that far into this problem yet but I swear it's like the electrical system on this wagon is possessed.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Sounds like a ground problem. Check your dash grounds

Reactions: 1 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
There is usually a ground terminal close to or if not mounted to the e brake. I would start there.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Old ElCo Dude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2020
Also look under the dash there near the E brake but up and under the dash too, as you apply and release the brake.Look specifically for sparks or bundles of wires moving.The action of applying and releasing could be causing something to make or break a connection under there.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Just for grins make sure the bolt that goes through the bulkhead connector on the engine side of the firewall is tight. It goes through the connector and threads into the fuse box inside the car, clamping the two together. I'm thinking maybe it is loose and the motion of the e-brake is moving the fuse box around. I think this is a long shot but worth looking at.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor