Emissions Canister Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I cut open my vapor canister using a hacksaw around the bottom lid ensuring I cut enough to just break the plastic weld. Bought a new lower filter and cut foam
Cutting Open the Cannister (2).jpg
for
Cut Out Lower Part.jpg
the two internal
Upper Filter (New).jpg
one with aquarium
Lower Ouside Filter (4).jpg
m charcoal.

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Nice job.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
The thing is that the hacksaw blade gives a clean cut vs using a Dremel disk that melts the plastic. I used 3m black rubber cement to reseal the bottom back to the cannister.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
AC, nice job and thanks for sharing your experience and success. I was planning to redo mine and after seeing your pictures will be careful not to cut deeply.

(y)(y)

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yes, Fish tank charcoal. I didn't have my phone wit me when I filled it.
Bonus. I was going to say, that'd be one helluva vacuum leak without it. Good job on using a blade vs. the dremel. Those things were meant to be replaced, and not repaired. You would think they'd be as cheesy as some of the other crap and have a couple of snap clips on them or something. I guess they figured they'd outlast the car.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Easy to do the rebuild. Go for it. My cannister had all the charcoal in it (filled 100%) and the foam filters were in good condition for being 35yrs old. I was expecting the foam to be disintegrating. I cut out new foam using the old ones as templates. The outside filter is readily available at your local corner auto parts for less than $2.75 bucks.

Attachments

• Out Side Lower Filter PN (CF!).jpg
    Out Side Lower Filter PN (CF!).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Lower Inside Filter (Green) (2).jpg
    Lower Inside Filter (Green) (2).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Cannister Charcoal (3).jpg
    Cannister Charcoal (3).jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor