Engine-AC-Heater Wiring for 85 El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
Greetings all! In my effort to clean up and paint my engine bay and SBC 350, I discovered shoddy work of days past with the biggest issue being wiring. I am pressed for time, and I do not want to rewire the car. That said...I have questions:

With the exception of the Heater/AC Box, Brake Booster and Reservoir, suspension bits and wiring, everything has been removed from the engine bay. The engine wiring pigtail has butt-splices EVERYWHERE! My 85 Elky originally had a V6 and has factory AC. Is there a plug and play pigtail out there that I can purchase to quickly but my car back together? If not, what would you recommend?

Thanks...K-Toe

Attachments

• 20210209_171557.jpg
    20210209_171557.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 187

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Probably, the fastest way is to find a replacement harness from a 5th Gen El Camino. Are you planning on running the ECM or going carb with distributor? There are two connectors on driver's side of engine compartment: one for engine and other for front lights. Another source of information for this kind of project is ElCaminoCentral site. Do searches on both that site and this one to gather information and possibly seek parts.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Are those mounts welded to the frame ??????? Who the heck did that ?
And what are you doing about the hole in the AC box ?

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
Probably, the fastest way is to find a replacement harness from a 5th Gen El Camino. Are you planning on running the ECM or going carb with distributor? There are two connectors on driver's side of engine compartment: one for engine and other for front lights. Another source of information for this kind of project is ElCaminoCentral site. Do searches on both that site and this one to gather information and possibly seek parts.
Thanks...I will search the ElCaminoCentral site. I'm also checking pick-n-pull sites in my state. The local ones don't seem to carry older vehicles. I am tossing the carburetor for Sniper EFI...which heightens the wiring issue (at least for me).

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
Are those mounts welded to the frame ??????? Who the heck did that ?
And what are you doing about the hole in the AC box ?
Yep...and it wasn't me! The weld job was so bad that the motor mounts popped off using a crowbar. The hole in the AC box was patched...poorly, and the shoddy work there became obvious when I pulled the heater core. So...I plan to attempt a better repair. If I'm not satisfied with the work, I will pull the entire box and install a blocking plate. There is no budget for a new AC system at this point.

Attachments

• 20210217_140553.jpg
    20210217_140553.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 108

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
Yep...and it wasn't me! The weld job was so bad that the motor mounts popped off using a crowbar. The hole in the AC box was patched...poorly, and the shoddy work there became obvious when I pulled the heater core. So...I plan to attempt a better repair. If I'm not satisfied with the work, I will pull the entire box and install a blocking plate. There is no budget for a new AC system at this point.

Attachments

• 20210403_075619.jpg
    20210403_075619.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 127

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
The frame and engine bay has been cleaned, primed and painted. The weak (lame, disastrous, horrible, etc.) motor mounts have been upgraded.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
My advice ? Redo the wireing while everything is out of the engine compartment. Theres enough info on this site to get you through it. Youre going to delete a bunch of unused wires when you do it anyway.

K-Toe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2021
Thanks! I would like to take that route. The AC/Heater box was in pitiful shape. Besides needing major repairs, each component needed replacement. So...we install a delete panel next. Time...and patience...seems be have trumped the complete rewire thought.

Attachments

• 20210331_112117.jpg
    20210331_112117.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor