Engine bay wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
What wires in the engine bay need to be there if you're just running a starter and alternator? I'm not running A/C or a heater. Nothing is electric besides the wire to the alternator and the starter/battery wiring. I understand this is kind of a vague question but any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hmmmm. Battery + and - cables. Ignition wire to distributor. Start wire to starter. Alt wire from output stud to battery+. Field wire from dash to connector#1. #2 can go to batt+ stud. Spark plug wires. That should do it. Lights and horn wires can be out of sight.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Easiest way to figure this out is to take out the engine bay harness/forward light harness and pull all the wires out of the plastic tubing. Make sure to zip tie the wires together that go off in different directions. I'm assuming you know the wiring in your car and should be able to identify each wire and which is useless/not being used.

This may sound like a chore, but it only takes an hour or two and is well worth it. It was actually very easy IMO and ended up eliminating over half of the old harness. I replaced all the connections and ends, cleaned the wires with paint thinner to take the crud off, and wrapped the whole harness in electrical tape. Once you do this, you know that you will not have any electrical issues in the engine bay. If you want pics of my harness, I can take some and post'em up here.

TO ALL READING THIS, one very faulty spot in the wiring I found is in the plastic tubing down near the starter. There is a metal crimp that connects three wires: BAT alternator wire, air, and one to the ignition. I got rid of the air since I no longer have it and the BAT wire since I'm going to be running the CS144 alternator and will be running a 4 gauge wire directly to the battery. From this crimp one wire goes to the starter to provide power to all three. This metal crimp, at least in my system, was heavily corroded with rust and oxidized wires. This was probably what caused me so much headache with inaccurate voltage readings and sometimes starting.

Sorry this seems to be a bit much, just got done doing this and well worth restoring the harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor