Engine charging problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Castro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2018
Hi all my gbody friends! I’m looking for some advice/input. I have a 1985 Buick Regal 3.8 v6. I’ve replaced the alternator, battery, plugs and distributor cap. For some reason my car will not hold a charge. I have to jump it to get it going then after about 20 minutes it dies then I have to jump start it all over and the same process over again???? Any ideas? Thank you

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Are you sure the battery is good? When the car is running, do you measure 14 volts at the battery?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would be great if you could give us an introduction of yourself along with a few pictures of your Regal....:)

why did you change the battery and alternator and what did you change first.

Adam Castro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2018
Are you sure the battery is good? When the car is running, do you measure 14 volts at the battery?
. Yeah the battery is good I bought it about 3 weeks ago. Yes it is measuring 14 volts at the battery, I checked that a couple days ago.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Given your run time before shutdown, you should probably check your battery cable routing. It sounds like it's laying on the exhaust- pipe gets hot, insulation softens, cable shorts to ground....

Adam Castro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2018
I would be great if you could give us an introduction of yourself along with a few pictures of your Regal....:)

why did you change the battery and alternator and what did you change first.
My name is Castro I’m from Denver Colorado and I’ve loved my old cars since I was little. I like my impalas, Monte Carlos, regals and cutlass, I love a lot of different old cars. Currently I have a 85 Buick Regal that I’m trying to restore with my son. It’s a 3.8 v6 but I’ve been trying to figure this problem out now for a couple weeks and it’s been a pain. I changed the battery and alternator because they both were bad when I bought the car, so I replaced the battery, and a week later replaced the alternator.

Attachments

• 6AE65E4A-CCDD-421D-9F3D-5C90E7F96964.jpeg
    6AE65E4A-CCDD-421D-9F3D-5C90E7F96964.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
  • B58C1127-4DDB-41BF-A623-CC07906BD402.jpeg
    B58C1127-4DDB-41BF-A623-CC07906BD402.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 155

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My name is Castro I’m from Denver Colorado and I’ve loved my old cars since I was little. I like my impalas, Monte Carlos, regals and cutlass, I love a lot of different old cars. Currently I have a 85 Buick Regal that I’m trying to restore with my son. It’s a 3.8 v6 but I’ve been trying to figure this problem out now for a couple weeks and it’s been a pain. I changed the battery and alternator because they both were bad when I bought the car, so I replaced the battery, and a week later replaced the alternator.

Welcome to you and your son, you two will like it here...that is a great looking Regal....:)

I would go with flemming442's suggestion and look at the battery cables and make sure the ground is clean. Have you tested what voltage you are getting at the back of the alternator compared to the voltage your getting at the battery with the car running?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
When the car is powered off, you could also make sure that the current draw from the battery is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor