Engine decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
This is an engine I pulled out of a B-Body Sedan. 1987 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1

It isn't going into a G-Body vehicle, but any help would be appreciated.

Engine stamp = 5.7LG 14093638 (I think) *EDIT* I've tried looking up the original number I had, and it keeps referencing back to the current number. '87-95 block 2 or 4 bolt main, flat or roller cam. I've already seen the cam and know it's a roller. Haven't seen the main caps yet, but I might do a oil pan, rear main, and timing cover reseal just as cheap insurance.
Intake Manifold = 14101076
Cylinder Heads = 14101083

I think I have the cylinder heads figured out already... they're 64cc chamber 1.94" intake and 1.5" exhaust valves which is respectable. I probably won't be changing them.

I know the engine is a 5.7L with hydraulic roller lifters and it would only take me pulling the oil pan to figure out if it's 4 bolt main or 2 bolt, but I'm not really concerned with that. I'm not going to turn this thing into an all-out drag engine. I just want to know what I'm putting into my Firebird. If anything, I'm guessing it's got about 180 horsepower factory, and without all the emission junk, and if I put roller rockers on it, it'll probably clear 200 no problem.

What I really want to know is what is the compression ratio and maybe a general idea on the cam more than anything else. I'm guessing the pistons are probably 16cc dual valve relief, which would give the engine about a 8.5:1 compression ratio.

Any other information I can get that can be helpful, just ask and I can try to get it. My goal is to get this into the Firebird by the end of August. I just want a nice, drivable car with good low RPM vacuum, and decent low range power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor