Engine fan sitting higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike 86 regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2022
Oklahoma
Ok I have a 86 regal that a did a sbc 355 swap, keep my 200-4r just updated it. Now I recently took the transmission back down and replaced all the seals(I had a leak) so I put everything together and now my motor fan is higher then the radiator. How is this possible, same crossmember, engine mounts are new.

Attachments

• 20220902_071842.jpg
    20220902_071842.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20220902_071853.jpg
    20220902_071853.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 81

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
I would say the only way this is possible, assuming the fan (from your picture) is now higher and tilted back from the radiator vertical plane has to be that you didn't re-assemble the crossmember, and/or rear transmission mount properly? Did you replace any of that in the process of R & R of the transmission? It sounds like you had the SBC engine in there with this trans. without this issue *before* you removed the trans for resealing?

That looks like it's tilted back a lot from the pic, did you replace the trans mount itself with the wrong part (different height, without shim(s))? Could you have put the crossmember in upside down, though not sure it would actually fit to be honest. Did you install the crossmember on the underside of the mounting holes in the frame instead on top? Though again I can't see how you could possibly do that as the bolts shouldn't be long enough to attach it.

I can you tell the 700R4 has two different mount locations; one on the case, and one on tail shaft housing but I don't think that's the case with 2004R? So it begs the question, are you sure you have a 2004R trans and not a 700R4 because if you have a 700R4 and use the wrong mount boss on the trans (on the tail shaft housing vs the case) t will definitely site about 1" lower, and in turn raise the front of the engine. It's easy to tell the two transmissions apart by the trans pan shape (see below). The stock crossmember iirc will fit in different holes (slides forward and back) and line up with either mount point on 700R4.

Here's mine with a G Force crossmember but you can see the tail shaft housing has mount boss (red x), but it's not used, and I'm on the one just behind the pan rail instead.

1662181986551.png

1662182301044.png

1662182073471.png
1662182147360.png

Mike 86 regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2022
Oklahoma
383_StealthRam For sure I have a 200-4r, the transmission mount I didn't take off I just cleaned it. Everything is back on correct, you are correct, you can not put it on any other way.

Attachments

• 20220903_065409.jpg
    20220903_065409.jpg
    932.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220903_065409.jpg
    20220903_065409.jpg
    932.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220903_065450.jpg
    20220903_065450.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 78

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
One check might be to take a protractor and identify the angles on the T-Box output shaft and on the rear yoke. They ought to be close but the t angle should be a negative, lower than level, and the yoke should be positive, higher than level. The actual measurement ought to be around 3 degrees +/- a degree from being a level. if your t-mission angle is lower than 3 or so degrees then it I have to agree with 383 StealthRam on the possibility of a missing mount shim or... based on you having to remove the t-mission crossmember, did it happen to have spacers or shims between it's mounting flanges and the frame mounts for it that would have caused it to sit higher up, pushing the box up as a result?

Nick

Mike 86 regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2022
Oklahoma
One check might be to take a protractor and identify the angles on the T-Box output shaft and on the rear yoke. They ought to be close but the t angle should be a negative, lower than level, and the yoke should be positive, higher than level. The actual measurement ought to be around 3 degrees +/- a degree from being a level. if your t-mission angle is lower than 3 or so degrees then it I have to agree with 383 StealthRam on the possibility of a missing mount shim or... based on you having to remove the t-mission crossmember, did it happen to have spacers or shims between it's mounting flanges and the frame mounts for it that would have caused it to sit higher up, pushing the box up as a result?

Nick
@coopernick I ordered a high mount for the transmission, it was the original one from 1986

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
And did that new mount you ordered, the one supposed to be a correct replacement for what was originally installed by the factory, physically match the existing one that came off the transmission when you pulled the old box out??

Am editing this because I just went back and reviewed the included series of pictures and the circular rubber mount in the first shot with the g-force crossmember is definitely different from what appears to be a factory original mount sitting on an original crossmember in the second series. If you replaced the factory crossmember with the g-force version at the same time you rehabbed and re-stabbed the t-box back in then it could be the new crossmember that is your culprit because it has a mounting surface that sits lower in comparison to the factory tube job. Which brings us back to the idea of having a steel shim between the upper mounting ears that attach the biscuit to the tail stock to move it upward.

Nick

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
If you didn't touch the engine mounts, and just removed the crossmember and rear trans mount, there's no possible way that I'm aware of that you could end up with the engine being in a different position that it was before you remove the crossmember and trans. Something else is going on and I'm at a loss.

I do recall these cars did have mount/brackets for the rear of the catalytic converters that was about 1/8" - 3/16" thick and went between the trans mount and the trans case. Did you have that before and possibly forget to put it back?

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
I remember that bracket because it was a combination of the t-mount and the arm that held the clamp that supported the cat. When I went to headers and lost the cat I had to cut that ell off because it was all one piece and didn't come apart unless the biscuit tore. I know that the t-mission mount that I just installed in another project came with a flat metal spacer plate that was drilled to match the holes in the tail stock. It was intended to be a spacer to move the rear of the t-box up and down which would adjust the output shaft angle to get it to align properly. Because I had changed t-box versions, the plate wasn't needed as it pushed the replacement box up too high.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor