Engine Guys, Head This Way Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If the guides are ok, what would take out the seals?? As Vanrah brought up were condoms used installing.

From what I have read just a minor deflection of the stem could ruin the seal. The seals were installed with the tool provided with the seals. I quickly checked out the feel of one valve and it felt good but I need the remove the seals and properly check the guides

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have build my share of engines and this is the first for me. I had pretty bad blow by but I didn't bother with the bottom end until I changed the heads. It appears I was right thinking the heads were causing the blow by cause now with the "new" vortec heads along with the proper length pushrods there is no more blow by....:)

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Update, now that the GP is on the road I can drive it hard and there is no blow by, no oil consumption and no puff of smoke at any time out of the exhaust. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and bracketchev1221 was right on with the problem being the geometry. This forum is really helpful to point things out that even a reasonably experienced old man can miss....:)

• Winner

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Update, now that the GP is on the road I can drive it hard and there is no blow by, no oil consumption and no puff of smoke at any time out of the exhaust. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and bracketchev1221 was right on with the problem being the geometry. This forum is really helpful to point things out that even a reasonably experienced old man can miss....:)

Glad it worked out for you. Years of breaking stuff occasionally gets me a right answer!!!

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor