Engine has jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
What’s going on fellas? So after the valve job I thought I was all done with this engine. Seems like #1 still isn’t firing. It's now building compression (120psi) and the engine is running a whole lot better, but I just can’t seem to fine tune it.

I am also running rich (some black smoke at high revving) and I cannot tune the air mixture screws on the carb. They have no affect what so ever! Could I have ruined the carb after rebuilding it? I used new gaskets, and had new floaters but I couldn’t adjust the float/drop level so I just replaced them with the originals. The originals were not on the 7/16 float level - 15/16 drop level but I don’t recall it ever giving me problems over the time I had it on another car (Malibu with 350)

So I’m guessing I have two separate issues. Carb and ignition. Please take a look at my video where I better explain, and run some tests on the engine. Thanks fellas.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you removed the #1 plug to make sure it's gapped right and the ceramic on the plug isn't cracked. I would alsao check the valve adjustment on #1 since you did it wiotuh the car running and if #1 wasn't firing the valves may not be adjusted properly.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
one other thing, when I use zip tires on my wires I do it this way to keep the wires separated...

1592320188296.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
have you removed the #1 plug to make sure it's gapped right and the ceramic on the plug isn't cracked. I would alsao check the valve adjustment on #1 since you did it wiotuh the car running and if #1 wasn't firing the valves may not be adjusted properly.
I have swapped plug 1 & 2. Same deal. I adjusted the valves with the engine running, sorry if i said otherwise in the video. Loosened until i heard clicking, then tightened until clicking was gone, then tightened an extra 1/4 turn. I can hear clicking on the video, i will re adjust them again. Thank you bro.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the vacuum guage is saying the timing is late. What do you have the timing set at and when you did the timing did you have the vacuum to the distributor blocked off?

Reactions: 1 user

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
I have it set at 11 BTDC. I was trying to get it to 12 with rpm at 700 but it's a bit hard to tweak both timing and throtle to meet each other half way so i left it at 11. I don't recall if i timed it with dizzy vacuum plugged. Should i plugg off the dizzy vacuum and see what it reads?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you don't remember if you plugged the vacuum then yes, do it over. The reaon I asked is because 11° base sounds too much timing for a stock 305. And make sure you have your spark plug wires separated

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would start the car and put it in neutral and it should be 600 rpm , 500 in gear.....for the timing I would try 6-10° but it would help to know what the vacuum advance is through the rpm. Your engine would probably like around 36° all in, the HEI distributor gives you 24° mechanical, the vacuum advance gives you 10° at idle but dropps off at an unknown rate as the rpms increase and vacumm decreases

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor